Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Knoppix V6.7.1

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    Knoppix V6.7.1

    Klaus Knopper has published a new Knoppix version: KNOPPIX 6.7.1 / ADRIANE 1.4 - Live CD / DVD

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    These comments are based on my brief recent acquaintance with the
    Knoppix 6.7.1 LiveCD and LiveUSB built from the LiveCD.
    I got my non-Adriane English iso at
    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

    Klaus' 6.7.1 is certainly a very generous upgrade of Knoppix 6.7.
    A major consideration, I think, may have been going back to IceWeasel
    for reasons affecting the Adriane suite of programs. In so doing,
    however, Klaus has somehow retained an avenue to obtain Chromium
    if desired and upgraded many key elements of the distribution
    at the same time.

    The new distro has a 3.0.4 Linux kernel, a 6.0.2 IceWeasel browser,
    LibreOffice 3.4.3 with all its bells & whistles and Adriane 1.4-4.
    Mine boots to on-line in 59 seconds, same as Win7 start-up time
    on this laptop.

    In making my LiveUSB, I chose not to re-format my 6.7 LiveUSB. This
    may be the reason that my 'Install Components' does not offer to d/l
    additional fonts. I had these fonts on the 6.7, now I don't, and
    I don't have the option to install them either. What I gained was a
    small benefit of not having to re-install a few comfort-files I usually
    keep on mnt-system side of the USB. My advice: do the re-formatting.

    My Synaptic says Chromium is 'installed', but Chromium-Browser is not.
    I suspect there's not room enough for both Chromium and IceWeasel
    browsers on a normal CD which also has LibreOffice with all its extras.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124

    Strange behaviour of LXDE menu

    I like the panel at the top of the screen. But if I select 'Panel preferences => Position: top', I have no LXDE menu, only an empty frame at the left edge from bottom. This doesn't occur with 'Position: left, right or bottom'

    There is no difference, when I upgrade the LXDE stuff from stable to testing.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... nobody with this LXDE menu error?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, Werner

    I confirmed your observation when first posted;
    however, I like mine at the bottom, so I didn't comment then.
    Sorry.

    I'm sure KK would like to know.
    Last edited by utu; 09-28-2011 at 04:00 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Thank you for your information.

    I think it is an error caused by Knoppix; in the LXDE forums nobody described this behaviour. In the meantime I also asked at "[email protected]". Perhaps KK or anyone else has a tip for me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Upgrades available to 6.7.1

    .
    There are some upgrades available to Knoppix 6.7.1 now in Synaptic.

    Since I use a smallish LiveUSB, I don't do wholesale updates.
    I only do selective updates that I expect may have some significance.

    I would expect that
    IceWeasel 6-something to 7.0-1 is probably is worth switching-to; but
    LibreOffice update from 1.3.4.3-1 to 1.3.4.3-2 may not be worth the effort.
    Just judging by the version syntax.

    I note that
    NetworkManager update from 0.8.4.0-2 to 0.9.0-2 is possible;
    I hope someone will give us an informed opinion on this one.

    Comments on other hidden gems, and other opinions are surely welcome here.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I like the panel at the top of the screen. But if I select 'Panel preferences => Position: top', I have no LXDE menu, only an empty frame at the left edge from bottom.
    I've found the cause of this strange behaviour; it is the testing version of "lxpanel". After downgrade to stable version "0.5.6-1" I have the menu at my preferred position.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, Werner.

    This may be too late, but here goes:

    Have you investigated the Desktop Preferences pop-up GUI to make your menu appear?
    That is: Right-Click (on desktop)>Desktop Preferences>Advanced tab>Show Menus.

    That might be worth a try.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    This doesn't show the menu at top and it is a well known bug.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99