-
grub2 upgrade - problems
Hi,
I have Knoppix 6.7.1 installed on the HDD of my laptop, dual booting with Windows 7. All was working fine untill I upgraded to grub2. Since the upgrade I have two problems:
a) my wireless nic is no longer detected/active
b) the Windows 7 boot option is no longer on the Grub boot menu
Can anyone advise how/where to track down solutions for either of these?
-
Solution to Windows option missing from Grub2 menu:
You need root privileges for this method, so use Root Shell or sudo.
Edit file: /etc/grub.d/40_custom
At the end of the file add:
menuentry "Windows 7" {
set root=(hd0,1)
chainloader +1
}
(Note this works for my installation of Windows 7, which boots from the first partition (sda1) - Grub2 numbers partitions from 1 not from 0)
In a root terminal (or use sudo), run:
update-grub
That's it, thats what worked for me.
From my original post, I still have to restore my Wireless network, which isn't proving as easy to track down. Anyone able to help resurrecting wireless networking?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think that you should compare the old configuration file menu.lst and the new one grub.cfg concerning the boot parameters for Knoppix.
You can find many web pages with tutorials about the configuration of GRUB 2. I think that "GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial" could be a good place to start.
If you still have problems then I would suggest that you show us the content of the configuration file grub.cfg and give a detailed description of where your Windows partition resides (drive number and partition number).
I hope this helps.
-
Sorry Klaus,
I updated this post about 8 hours ago - clearly it didn't take (grrrr), here's what should have uploaded...
Fix for missing Windows link in Grub2 menu:
The steps for this require root access, so use Root Shell or sudo.
Edit file:/etc/grub.d/40_custom
Add this section to the end of the file:menuentry "Windows 7" {
set root=(hd0,1)
chainloader +1
}
(Note this worked for me as Windows boots from first partition (sda0,0) - partition numbering changes in Grub2, now starts at 1 not 0)
At command prompt run:update-grub
That's it, this curred my missing Windows option in grub2 menu.
Missing wireless is proving harder to track down, and is still causing a problem if anyone can help?
-
Within the link Klaus told you, you can find this hint:
30_os-prober is the script that will scan the hard disks for other operating systems and add them to the boot menu.
Perhaps it isn't yet installed. Install it and try update-grub once more. There is no need to edit '/etc/grub.d/40_custom' manually.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
-
Apologies for the double post - as a newbie all posts are manually vetted, and I was caught by the time lag involved.
Further to the wireless problem, I'm now thinking this is only coincidental with the grub change not part of it. As I have discovered wireless availability appears/disappears depending which kernel I choose at boot.
When I boot to kernel 3.0.4 everything is fine; however when I boot to the newer 3.0.4-64 I loose my wireless. Realise "loose" isn't a very helpful term - when in 3.0.4-64, from a prompt I can run
Code:
$ lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
and get a response which identifies the wireless hardware. However, within the gui shell I can only see settings for wired connections. Also (being a laptop) LED wireless indicator is OUT and does not respond to attempts to turn it back on.
From Synaptic I can see the same drives for the wireless card are available for both kernels. Can someone advise where to go/check next?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would suggest the following. I suppose that you use your HDD install of Knoppix.
Boot the Linux 3.0.4 kernel. Open a terminal and issue
Code:
sudo lsmod > /home/knoppix/lsmodules-3.0.4.txt
Reboot the system, but now use the Linux 3.0.4-64 kernel. Open a terminal and issue
Code:
sudo lsmod > /home/knoppix/lsmodules-3.0.4-64.txt
Then you can compare the two text files and try to find out whether one kernel module was missing when you used the 3.0.4-64 kernel.
-
Thanks Klaus,
These modules are loaded by 3.0.4 but not by 3.0.4-64:
Code:
Module Size Used by
arc4 994 2
lib80211_crypt_tkip 6273 0
joydev 6662 0
wl 1936903 0
and this module by 3.0.4-64 only:
Code:
Module Size Used by
edac_core 30522 0
Reading around, I've found a post which advises
To make the module load at boot, add
wl (and
lib80211/
lib80211_crypt_tkip, if needed) to your MODULES array in
/etc/rc.conf
however on my system I don't have a /etc/rc.conf file. Should I create it, or do the module load instructions go elsewhere?
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00