Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: IceWeasel scrolling lag or download stalling

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    IceWeasel scrolling lag or download stalling

    .
    I backed into this problem.
    I started a thread about pipelining which noone else was interested in.
    In the process I think I discovered both a problem and demonstrated
    how to approach it.

    From what little I've read, it would appear to be Firefox/IceWeasel specific.

    I became aware of IceWeasel 9 browser loading becoming erratic when I first
    started playing with pipelining. I was surprised to discover the problem
    was there with pipelining disabled. I might be zipping from site to site with
    nice responsiveness and then on some site or on some page, things would
    'choke' for a few seconds and then resume. I could check my cpu monitor on
    lxpanel whenever the stall occurred and see the cpu activity at a maximum for
    the duration of the stall.

    This effect can be provoked some by surfing to a site with a large page
    full of graphics, perhaps some ads and maybe some javascript,
    and immediately attempting to scroll past the initially displayed material.

    I first tried earlier IceWeasels and found the problem just as acute. Then
    I tried IceWeasel 10, experimental, and this problem subsided a lot. The only
    difference between the old IceWeasel installs and the new one was that at
    first, there was no Ad Blocker for IceWeasel 10.

    From what I read, others have discovered this same effect and determined
    that the root cause is probably due to overloading the mozilla javascript
    machinery with a lot of add-ons. In my case I usually have several ad-blockers
    and SQLite Manager. It could be that pipelining doesn't help the situation,
    but the problem is there even without pipelining.

    Here's an independent view on the matter:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6033196_fix-...refox-3_5.html

    I'm now back to fiddling with pipelining and SQLite parameters to see if
    I can find a happy set of values to continue with while avoiding the stalls.
    Last edited by utu; 01-12-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89