Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: 6.7.1 Remastering

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Some times ago I also worked with "chroot"; but now I found, it's easier to make changes in a real Knoppix HD-Installation for remaster purpose.

    Greetings Werner
    Using the above works flawless! Im amazed how easier this is than the chroot method. There should be a banner at the top of this page on the wiki link that states this is outdated and for current users to follow steps from the "changes in the real Knoppix HD-Installation.

  2. #12
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Ive found an issue. Within VBox I build my virtual disk and mount the cd.iso. I have the virtual pc boot to the iso(cd).
    Perhaps you didn't unselect the option "Live-cd/DVD" at this step.

    Greetings Werner

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    I did miss that check!
    Now for the Knoppix HD install! I installed and made my changes. Then created the remastered iso. Which worked just as I needed. The only problem is after I reboot the pc and want to make another install all of my previous changes are gone. I need the HD install to keep changes as I go so that I do not have to start from the begining each time. Is it possible to have the HD install keep my packages that I add/remove?

  4. #14
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Then created the remastered iso.
    ???
    How do you did this? With old chroot method of Remaster HowTo, with my script "kn-remaster" or with my script "kn-recombine"?

  5. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Ive found an issue. Within VBox I build my virtual disk and mount the cd.iso. I have the virtual pc boot to the iso(cd). Once booted the partions goes well but when it starts to copy files it seems to be copying from my physical cd drive and not from the iso that booted the virtual machine.
    Don't select the option Live-CD/DVD in the right upper corner!

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ???
    How do you did this? With old chroot method of Remaster HowTo, with my script "kn-remaster" or with my script "kn-recombine"?
    Script kn-remaster

  7. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Now for the Knoppix HD install! I installed and made my changes. Then created the remastered iso. Which worked just as I needed. The only problem is after I reboot the pc and want to make another install all of my previous changes are gone.
    I've tested my scripts many, many times and now I tested it once more (kn-knoppix_0.3-2_all.deb), but I cannot verify your claim. All things I purged in my HD-Install remains purged and all things I installed new remains installed after reboot.

    Did you any changes within "kn-remaster", especially at lines 105-120?

    Greetings Werner

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    I've tested my scripts many, many times and now I tested it once more (kn-knoppix_0.3-2_all.deb), but I cannot verify your claim. All things I purged in my HD-Install remains purged and all things I installed new remains installed after reboot.

    Did you any changes within "kn-remaster", especially at lines 105-120?

    Greetings Werner
    I made no changes but I feel we are on 2 different subjects. The HD-Install is what did not keep my new packages/changes after reboot. The changes reflected within the remastered iso did remain. During HD install there are no option for persistent as there are after reboot with flash disk install. I would presume that hd install assumes persistent?
    Ive now reinstalled with Knoppix HD Install using the dvd. I want to see if changes are kept after reboot when Ive finished installing new packages.

  9. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The HD installation of Knoppix has no and needs no persistent memory. It 's a installation like any other OS - Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva and so on.
    Hard drive Installation

    And there is no diffenrence between HD installation using Knoppix CD or DVD, if you install or purge packages. In both cases you'll find all your changes after reboot.

    Greetings Werner
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 01-31-2012 at 10:07 PM.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    I do see that after reboot all has remained. I just ran the process/steps of remaster. After the iso was build. I browse to /opt/knx/iso/ (the remaster iso) The remaster ISO is only 10.5 Mgb this time. Any ideas what would cause that. Im going throught the steps again now to see it corrects the build.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer System 800 XL ** Tested ** AS-IS Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer System 800 XL ** Tested ** AS-IS Parts or Repair

$123.75



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS picture

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS

$228.32



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25