-
turn off Netgear FA310TX autonegotiation
I have a netgear FA310TX network card that has given me some trouble with the card trying to autonegotiate it's speed in knoppix as well as other OSs, and the solution has pretty much been to lock the card down to 10baseT and turn off the autonegotiation feature which would get confused and cause the link light to just flash on and off and move no traffic.
To lock this card into 10baseT in Knoppix:
1. Boot up Knoppix
2. switch to a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+F3 will do the trick)
3. remove the tulip module " modprobe -r tuilp"
4 reinsert the tulip module but add this option "insmod tulip option=9"
5. switch back to the desktop (ctrl+alt+F5)
6. run the network card configuration ("K" > Knoppix > Network/Internet >Network card config") and setup your ip address settings here now that the card is working.
This should lock the card into 10baseT mode and should solve any speed autonegotiation issues you may have with this card.
Enjoy!
-
how would i remove the tulip module " modprobe -r tuilp"
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: turn off Netgear FA310TX autonegotiation

Originally Posted by
adamm
I have a netgear FA310TX network card that has given me some trouble with the card trying to autonegotiate it's speed in knoppix as well as other OSs.....
I have a NIC that also has a problem with Knoppix and some other OS's. It does work fine under Windows. It's not a Netgear. But the thing is, the NIC worked perfectly with Knoppix when I first got the computer. It stopped working right after I did an XP "security update. (Make your own conslusions about cause and effect.) When I was working on the problem I set up ethereal on another computer and watched the computer try to autonegotiate it's speed with the router. It was pretty clear that something was going very wrong with autonegotiation in my case too. The NIC failed with the very same Knoppix CDRs that it had been working with (several of them, and other tests proved they were still the same as when they were first burnt). By the way, it's a NIC built into a notebook, which makes any simple fix by hardware replacement not a solution.
Please look over these threads:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
and tell me if you think there is a relation between this and what you are seeing.
-
Unfortunatly, this is a very different situation than the one I was facing. It looks like your issue is directly related to that security update and the firmware on the embeded card, whereas the issue I was having was related to the way the tulip driver was interfacing with my netgear card.
You may just want to see what module is being loaded for the card you have, and see if there are any paramaters you can pass to it like I did with the netgear.
I wish you luck on fixing this issue, as it seems that you are not alone.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
adamm
Unfortunatly, this is a very different situation than the one I was facing. .....
Thanks. I do apprecaite your looking at it though. As you saw, I have some work arounds for my problem, but would like to get to the bottom of the problem. Good luck with your problem.
Similar Threads
-
By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:36 PM
-
By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:45 PM
-
By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:28 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 11:15 AM
-
By j.drake in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99