Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Disaster prevention.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Disaster prevention.

    .
    I think there is a need for some built-in protection in Knoppix 6.7
    to prevent the ruination of LiveUSBs that have been given a task that
    turns out to be catastrophic.

    What I have in mind is the bad result which occurs after starting a
    download that proves ultimately too large for the LiveUSB to accommodate.
    This ultimately fails, but also renders the LiveUSB inoperable without
    extensive repairs or re-installation.

    Couldn't there be some built-in surveillance to monitor for this
    condition and head it off with some timely warning or corrective action?

    Training the operator and/or using a larger USB are not solutions of interest.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    .
    What I have in mind is the bad result which occurs after starting a
    download that proves ultimately too large for the LiveUSB to accommodate.
    This ultimately fails, but also renders the LiveUSB inoperable without
    extensive repairs or re-installation.
    Could you be a little more elaborative.
    Does this mean that when download is done diretly on disk or on persistent image?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ vkrishn

    For example:
    I now have about 400 MB unused on my LiveUSB with persistence.

    If I were to initiate a 700 MB download, that would proceed
    until the device was 'full' at which time I would get a
    warning 'no more room on the device'.

    At this point the LiveUSB is corrupted and will not reboot
    after shutdown. I think some some protection against this condition
    is in order.

    The few work-arounds I've tried are all harder than simply
    re-installing from a previously arranged clone copy of the LiveUSB.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23
    I guess that means using the space on disk directly and not inside the persistent storage.
    The reason I asked, I have few usb installation wanted to be careful.

    Did you try installing Knoppix in one partition of the disk and persistent/downloads on another partition, to see if the problem still exists?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Here are two ideas:

    1. One could change IceWeasel's Edit>Preferences>General>Downloads
    FROM: 'Save files to {/home/knoppix/Downloads}'
    TO: 'Always ask always ask me where ...'

    2. If there is a 'good' answer to 'where' then one might change the
    default to that, instead of 'ask me where'.

    Leaving IceWeasel set to its download default is asking for trouble
    for those downloading into OS media of relatively limited size.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    At this point the LiveUSB is corrupted and will not reboot
    after shutdown.
    And you cannot reboot with cheatcode "knoppix noimage"? Of course your persistent memory is damaged, but you can use your backup.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks, Werner.

    The 'noimage' approach is one means of RECOVERY that I've used.
    What I was searching for here is a means of PREVENTION.

    What with the cost of USBs coming down, there's not much
    justification anymore for 2 Gb installs like I've championed up to now.

    My favorite current configuration is a 16 Gb USB with 2 GB partition
    and the remainder formatted ext3 with kn-recombine on it.
    I can just as well shift downloads to that partition and not run
    into the 'disasters' anymore.

    Cheers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99