Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Restore Knoppix Config Always Fails

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16

    Restore Knoppix Config Always Fails

    I am unable to restore saved Knoppic configurations from a floppy disk. I have used floppy's formatted to DOS and ext2 and had no luck. I'm using Knoppix v3.2-2003-06-06-EN.

    I've tried pression the F2 key on boot and typing "knoppix myconfig=scan" and "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" and it fails both ways. Here are the messages from the boot screen.

    Checking /mnt/ for Knoppix configuration files...
    Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/ with AES256 encryption
    /dev/ Is a directory
    Mount failed, retry? [Y,n]

    I'd really like to be able to save and restore Knoppix configurations. Does anyone else have this problem?

    -jb

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    :x I have the exact same problem. I read somewhere you can save the config on /dev/hda1 but when you go to the back up config utility in KDE it doesn't give you that option. Maybe someone will post a solution.
    Cheers

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzman
    I have the exact same problem. I read somewhere you can save the config on /dev/hda1 but when you go to the back up config utility in KDE it doesn't give you that option. Maybe someone will post a solution.
    Cheers
    I currently store Knoppix's configuration, and home directory, on a USB memory key. It works well with the current version even though the floppy disk save does not.

    I have a simple USB v1.1 key with no hidden partitions.


    -jb

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    Found out from another thread on this forum that "Knoppix myconfig=" will not work if you want to save your working config to floppy. You have to use " Knoppix floppyconf " when you boot up. Save your config to floppy with the utility provided in KDE.

    Try this it worked for me

    Spazzman

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzman
    Found out from another thread on this forum that "Knoppix myconfig=" will not work if you want to save your working config to floppy.
    I looked everywhere (including the archives) when I first ran across this problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzman
    You have to use " Knoppix floppyconf " when you boot up. Save your config to floppy with the utility provided in KDE. Try this it worked for me
    It certainly does work.

    I guess somebody updated the program, but forgot to update the Save Configuration dialog and the Boot-Up help screen.

    Thanks for posting back.


    -jb

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by jBeach

    I guess somebody updated the program, but forgot to update the Save Configuration dialog and the Boot-Up help screen.

    -jb
    Hopefully that will be solved I have filed a bug report in the Bugzilla and updated the cheat codes to reflect the changes that have been found.

Similar Threads

  1. Backup HDD to USB and Restore from USB to HDD
    By GCMartin in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
  2. Restore lilo
    By jjbergdolt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
  3. Knoppix to restore RH9 Kernel
    By ncsuapex in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. Kernel restore?
    By Linuxshark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 12:42 AM
  5. floppyconfig fails to restore (at least really ugly)
    By BillS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99