Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Remaster problem with script

  1. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Is there some way I can boot from my remastered ISO without having to burn a CD?
    Yes, I prefer VirtualBox; it is easy to install, easy to use and fast. My tests with qemu (Qemulator) have been very disappointing; it is agonizing slow. Boot of this tools are within Knoppix DVD.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    I retraced my steps, this time removing only three packages that should not affect any system files. They were LibreOffice, Gimp, and Brasero. Then I ran "apt-get autoremove" and checked for system files. This produced an ISO under 700MB. It booted to level 5 (as user root) again but did not start the GUI. I have a funny feeling this is an .Xauthority problem, as I have run up against that in other distributions. Since "startx" works from the command line, is there a simple way to run "startx" from a startup script somewhere?

    Thanks.

    P.S. I don't have enough RAM to use virtualization.

  3. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    How many RAM do you have to boot Knoppix CD?

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    How many RAM do you have to boot Knoppix CD?
    "free" reports 889MB so it's 1GB minus what the onboard graphics uses.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    The original (downloaded) live Knoppix CD I used to generate the remastered copy boots up as user knoppix. But the remastered CD boots up as user root. I have not discovered why. But I am increasingly believing that the reason that the GUI will not start is not a memory or graphic problem (because executing startx WILL start it) but an .Xauthority problem. There is an .Xauthority file present in the knoppix home directory but NOT in the root home directory. My next step is to create an .Xauthority file for root before I burn the CD. I am not yet sure how I can do this.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    After repeated failed attempts, I am willing to try the Virtual Box method. I can borrow a notebook that has 2GB of memory. Is that sufficient to allow me to run Virtual Box and use the kn-remaster script?

    Thanks.

  7. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I think, it will do it, but I have no experience with other computers. My machines, a desktop and a laptop, both have 4 GB RAM. Within these I worked with VirtualBox and 512 MB RAM and all went well.

    Please tell us your result.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    I think, it will do it, but I have no experience with other computers. My machines, a desktop and a laptop, both have 4 GB RAM. Within these I worked with VirtualBox and 512 MB RAM and all went well.

    Please tell us your result.
    2 GB of memory is sufficient for VirtualBox and it runs quite successfully.

    Thank you for your assistance, but I have abandoned my project. Please delete me as user from your database.

  9. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Is there some way I can boot from my remastered ISO without having to burn a CD?
    Have a look at Test CD Image.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99