-
Is there some way I can boot from my remastered ISO without having to burn a CD?
Yes, I prefer VirtualBox; it is easy to install, easy to use and fast. My tests with qemu (Qemulator) have been very disappointing; it is agonizing slow. Boot of this tools are within Knoppix DVD.
-
I retraced my steps, this time removing only three packages that should not affect any system files. They were LibreOffice, Gimp, and Brasero. Then I ran "apt-get autoremove" and checked for system files. This produced an ISO under 700MB. It booted to level 5 (as user root) again but did not start the GUI. I have a funny feeling this is an .Xauthority problem, as I have run up against that in other distributions. Since "startx" works from the command line, is there a simple way to run "startx" from a startup script somewhere?
Thanks.
P.S. I don't have enough RAM to use virtualization.
-
How many RAM do you have to boot Knoppix CD?
-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
How many RAM do you have to boot Knoppix CD?
"free" reports 889MB so it's 1GB minus what the onboard graphics uses.
-
The original (downloaded) live Knoppix CD I used to generate the remastered copy boots up as user knoppix. But the remastered CD boots up as user root. I have not discovered why. But I am increasingly believing that the reason that the GUI will not start is not a memory or graphic problem (because executing startx WILL start it) but an .Xauthority problem. There is an .Xauthority file present in the knoppix home directory but NOT in the root home directory. My next step is to create an .Xauthority file for root before I burn the CD. I am not yet sure how I can do this.
-
After repeated failed attempts, I am willing to try the Virtual Box method. I can borrow a notebook that has 2GB of memory. Is that sufficient to allow me to run Virtual Box and use the kn-remaster script?
Thanks.
-
I think, it will do it, but I have no experience with other computers. My machines, a desktop and a laptop, both have 4 GB RAM. Within these I worked with VirtualBox and 512 MB RAM and all went well.
Please tell us your result.
-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
I think, it will do it, but I have no experience with other computers. My machines, a desktop and a laptop, both have 4 GB RAM. Within these I worked with VirtualBox and 512 MB RAM and all went well.
Please tell us your result.
2 GB of memory is sufficient for VirtualBox and it runs quite successfully.
Thank you for your assistance, but I have abandoned my project. Please delete me as user from your database.
-
Is there some way I can boot from my remastered ISO without having to burn a CD?
Have a look at Test CD Image.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

MPH MACBCOOL Cooling Module for Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Plus 1001-250
$1000.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99