@ luther & Werner
I think there may be a problem in how Debian-Knoppix handles Broadcom wifi.
There is a reference which seems authoritative by developers of the b43 driver
series which I rely on here as 'ground truth'. Find this at:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...ported_devices
This reference indicates that most Broadcom wifis need either a wl driver or b43 driver,
and many may use either. None will work with both installed simultaneously. As defined
by PCI-IDs, the 4315 which I have should work with either; the 4318 which luther has
is indicated to work only with b43.
Knoppix 6.7.1 automatically sets up wl for my 4315. I think luther has a similar experience
with Mint setting his 4318 up with b43 and ssb.
I note that when I try to use Synaptic to install b43 via fwcutter, it reports
'not supported' and fails to bring in the required Broadcom firmware. I should be able to
choose from either b43 or wl according to the reference. Apparently, part of the Debian-
Knoppix process of installing wl precludes subsequently bringing in b43 material.
If luther initially tried to install the STA driver series which contains wl, then this
may explain why he cannot now bring in b43 as an alternative. There may be some residual
effect from an initial attempt at an STA/wl installation.
Part of what appears with a wl driver installation are some blacklists in /etc/modprobe.d/;
specifically, boadcom-sta-common.conf and one line of blacklist-knoppix.conf. These files
may be the culprit in attempting to do a b43 installation after a wl installation.
These files (at least) probably need to be disabled for the b43 installation to succeed.
An alternative, with Synaptic, might be to do a complete removal of the STA/wl driver before
attempting a subsequent b43 install. Werner can best describe the CLI equivalent of this.