-
Software
Hey all,
I'm new to linux so I got Knoppix. I was wondering if there is a way to install new software and running off the hard drive if not this will still be fun to learn
thnx
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but it is definitely possible to install Knoppix to hdd and yes you can install software. In fact- it's easier than you ever imagined. Read the docs- it's all there.
If you're asking if you can install software to a booted cd the answer is no- it's a read only file system.
If I've misunderstood your question let me know.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Software
--Here is the Knoppix FAQ:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=70773
--To install to HD, you need to use Partitionmagic or something like it (actually you can use different things like fdisk, but you're new to this so I'm recommending a Windows tool) to repartition the HD so that you have a Swap partition that is at least equal to the amount of memory in your system, and at least a 2300Meg (2.3Gig) partition to install Knoppix/Linux onto.
--Then use ' knx-hdinstall ' to run the installation process. To install more software, use ' apt-cache search ' ("man apt-cache" for info) and ' apt-get install blah ' ("man apt-get" for help.)

Originally Posted by
Zuggy
Hey all,
I'm new to linux so I got Knoppix. I was wondering if there is a way to install new software and running off the hard drive if not this will still be fun to learn
thnx
Similar Threads
-
By phillw in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
-
By Xpiral in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:38 PM
-
By sandig in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By dougvega in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-23-2003, 04:46 AM
-
By Doc in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 06:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$221.00

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99