Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Knoppix 7.0 Same procedure as every year!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlips69 View Post
    I've been following this thread for over a month now, keenly waiting for Knoppix 7 to appear on the mirror sites, having been using 6.7.1 since it was released.

    Is it expected to have been released by now, or could there be anything that's delaying it, i.e. known bugs etc..?
    As CeBit was 6-10 March, the release is definately running late.

    Others seem to have found a problem with the DVD, so it is likely that this is being investigated, & therefore causing a delay.

    I, like you, eagerly await my turn to try it out; having been given to Linux Magazine first has, in my opinion, caused a little bit of unrest to the regulars wanting to get hold of it.

    We must, however, remain calm, as this is a work freely given to the community......


  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi Everyone Re problem with Knoppix 7.0 dvd from Linux Magazine [see also my post about this earlier:

    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/297...-error-message

    I now have a solution, for me anyway. From the Linux Magazine I have now received a second replacement dvd, a Luxembourg version this time and in it the sha1sum value for the critical /KNOPPIX/ file is ok on this one and this version installs to hd perfectly with no error mesages. This one is a much more substantial dvd, much more rigid than the English version. Oh, it does of course need extra cheatcodes [for me] to set the language and keyboard to English. Hint about doing this is handy in /KNOPPIX/cheatcodes.txt on the dvd - but also I think it is letters z and y are reversed in position from us keyboard.

    Best wishes, John

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, johnmd

    One of the cheatcodes for an EN version of a Knoppix LiveDVD is 'knoppix testcd',
    to be used at the initial boot screen. Have you used that yet? Did it pass?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ hotlips69 & others
    Be patient a short while longer; great things are coming.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi utu
    Yes indeed, if you run testcd on the Linux Magazine (EN) dvd you get the reply

    checking KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX...Failed!

    whereas if you run it on the LinuxUser (LU) dvd you get instead

    checking KNOPPIX/background.png...Fehlen!

    I'm not a great German scholar but I think I can make a good guess at what 'Fehlen!' means.

    In each case after the Failed/Fehlen message it asks if you want to continue anyway - but that is to continue with booting from the dvd rather than to continue with testing the other files.

    The difference is that for the LinuxUser dvd according to the sha1sum test done individually on each of the KNOPPIX/* files <background.png> is the only one that fails and I think I can live with a different wallpaper image.

    In the Knoppix Magazine dvd the <KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX> file is the only one where the computed sha1sum differs from the value given in the file <sha1sums.txt> and that is something that at least potentially could give problems with using Knoppix 7.0. Whether it actually does cause problems I haven't found out yet.

    I have so far found no problem with using the Linux Magazine (EN) dvd, either directly or as a hard drive install but then i probably use regularly less than 10 out of the 100's of programmes available on the dvd. But I am definitely going to use the LinuxUser (LU) dvd and hd install from now on at least until someone who knows a lot more about it explains why that isn't a good idea.

    Hope this helps.

    Best wishes, John

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks, johnmd.

    My take on this is:

    If you pass the sha1sum tests, you know your files
    match what LinuxMagazin meant you to have.

    If you pass the testcd tests, you know your files
    match what Klaus K meant you to have.

    If KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX fails testcd, there is a flaw in it.

    I've managed to get some miles out of a flawed LiveCD of
    my own making, but that's asking for trouble.

    I'm like you, there's a lot in the DVD I'll never use.
    Just don't get comfortable with a flawed system.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi Utu
    Thank you so much for all your patience. Now I think I understand.

    I had assumed that the 'testcd' cheatcode just did a sha1sum test on all the DVD files - with the only difference from a manual sha1sum test being that the 'testcd' command exited with the message 'Do you want to continue anyway?' as soon as it came across the first "bad" file and so didn't check the others. One strike and you're out.

    I do take your point that even if all the files on the DVD passed their sha1sum tests that would only show it was the same as the version the DVD maker used to burn the DVD.

    So - what I need to do is to buy a dvd of Knoppix 7.1 or whatever the freely released version turns out to be [when that's available]. Until then I will use the least bad one I have and hope for the best.

    Best wishes, john

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2
    I also bought the magazine and had a problem with the dvd. I also thought perhaps there might be some sort of error because of the media and maybe making a copy of the disk as an iso and ignoring the read error might give me a workable copy. The iso maker software also had an error reading the disk at some point and would not continue.

    I am disappointed that the disk did not work since I bought the magazine mainly to get the disk since it seems to have a lot of extra features and apps for the knoppix install/live disk. I am a newbie so now sure it can install like Ubuntu. I am waiting patiently to be able to download the working dvd.

    Does anyone know a way to contact the magazine and is there some way to show you bought it and be able to download a good version of the disk from the magazine? Or is that only wishful thinking on my part?



    --------------------------
    Please use double "new line" for new paragraph. wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-09-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: formatted by moderator

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by electroken View Post
    I also bought the magazine and had a problem with the dvd. I also thought perhaps there might be some sort of error because of the media and maybe making a copy of the disk as an iso and ignoring the read error might give me a workable copy. The iso maker software also had an error reading the disk at some point and would not continue.

    I am disappointed that the disk did not work since I bought the magazine mainly to get the disk since it seems to have a lot of extra features and apps for the knoppix install/live disk. I am a newbie so now sure it can install like Ubuntu. I am waiting patiently to be able to download the working dvd.

    Does anyone know a way to contact the magazine and is there some way to show you bought it and be able to download a good version of the disk from the magazine? Or is that only wishful thinking on my part?



    --------------------------
    Please use double &quot;new line&quot; for new paragraph. wps
    Hi, I have a subscription to the English magazine and found that the KNOPPIX file fails when running testcd. I then assumed that this is a broken DVD, so I asked the magazine for a good one. They were very quick with a new one, but that DVD has exactly the same problem. That makes me think that all of the English DVD's are broken. I ran a checksum on the KNOPPIX file and it had a different hash then written in the file. So I used some program that lets me edit files in the ISO and changed the checksum to what I calculated. Then I burned it and the testcd was, of course, ok. But this is really not the way to go. Someone should look into the broken DVDs and find out why they broke.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If the magazine DVD is damaged, you can request a new DVD. Look in your magazine (impressum or within the article) how to contact them.

    By the way, if a DVD has read errors you cannot get a DVD without read errors if you make a copy of it. Did you test the DVD with the cheatcode?
    Code:
    knoppix testcd
    Write this in the early startup behind "boot:" in the left bottom corner. Knoppix tests the checksums of the whole DVD.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99