Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Knoppix 7.0 Same procedure as every year!

  1. #21
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Could your .. recombining script, be integrated in such a way as to allow a user with a running modified Knoppix USB system, to 'simply' press the "install to usb" button, and have the 'new' system installed on an empty USB drive, with all the personal modifications recombined;
    Short answer: recombine on the fly isn't possible.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    Oh well, it was just a hopeful thought. Thanx for the reply, Werner.

  3. #23
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Hello,
    I finally got my Knoppix 7.0 DVD with the magazine shipped to me by a friend in UK.
    I guess there nothing confidential in a md5 hash of the iso file
    I created from my purchased DVD using dd from the running Knoppix 7.0:
    dc87b42bbd1b60099e33790b5798dd11 *knx70.iso
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    BTW, I did post here my Knoppix 7.0 modified minirt and virtual machine:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/115...465#post126465
    Last edited by ruymbeke; 04-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.

  4. #24
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 7.0.0 DVD: "Knoppix testcd" fail sha1sum

    Hello,
    As reported by Edwin Evenson in the Debian-Knoppix mailing list:
    "KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX failed sha1sum on 2 copies of this dvd.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    TIA
    Ed"
    I confirm that the sha1 of my /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is:
    a5d6cce5250c0a03ad6f501cd0d8b5eb09a48c5c */KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    instead of what is in the /KNOPPIX/sha1sums file:
    c873541e03834e9b9574089bf3461e8a8b0f4931 *KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    Best Regards,
    Gilles

  5. #25
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Hello,
    Please find below the content of the file broken-files.txt after running
    the following command from a konsole when running the Knoppix 7.0 Live DVD: "sudo tar cf - /KNOPPIX/ 2> broken-files.txt | dd of=/dev/null"

    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    tar: /KNOPPIX/dev/log: socket ignored
    tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
    tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings: File shrank by 65932 bytes; padding with zeros
    tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
    tar: /KNOPPIX/var/run/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

    Interestingly copying the same DVD content from a Windows 7 machine to a hdd does not create any error and
    running the same command within a virtual machine using the iso created from the DVD gives the exact same errors:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo tar cf - /KNOPPIX/ 2> broken-files.txt | dd of=/dev/null
    18583120+0 records in
    18583120+0 records out
    9514557440 bytes (9.5 GB) copied, 124.68 s, 76.3 MB/s
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat broken-files.txt
    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    tar: /KNOPPIX/dev/log: socket ignored
    tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
    tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings: File shrank by 65932 bytes; padding with zeros
    tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
    tar: /KNOPPIX/var/run/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

    Please find below the link to the md5 file of the /KNOPPIX content using the following command (skipping the /KNOPPIX/dev directory):
    sudo find /KNOPPIX/ | grep -v /dev | xargs md5sum >> knoppix.md5
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/...noopix_md5.zip
    Best Regards.
    Gilles

  6. #26
    Senior Member otropogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    109
    Does Knoppix 7.0 support USB3.0, DVD-RAM, and/or UDF/DLA access for optical media?

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4
    The sha1sum result from the torrent iso matches the one for the iso generated from Linux Pro Magazine: 08a031b548cba80fa83a12ab803661799a15900c. They both fail bootable self-test, however.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Hello,

    the first time I noticed a problem with the DVD was when I tried to use the feature of copying it to HD from the running Live system. It always failed towards the end of the process. And GRUB is not being updated. When I update GRUB from a different linux installation it finds KNOPPIX and puts an entry into the boot menu. I can start it from there.
    Then I ran knoppix testcd and it fails. I tried testdvd and it fails too. Then I thought I have a broken copy so I wrote to Linux Magazine and they sent me a new copy. But it has exactly the same problem.
    My machine has 4 GB of RAM of which I have set 1 GB for the video card. My CPU is AMD E350, which is an APU (CPU+GPU).
    I tried this on a laptop with 6 GB of RAM and it has the same problem.
    I am wondering whether I need more RAM in order to get a successful testcd/testdvd?

    Best regards,
    Stefan

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hello,
    As reported by Edwin Evenson in the Debian-Knoppix mailing list:
    "KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX failed sha1sum on 2 copies of this dvd.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    TIA
    Ed"
    I confirm that the sha1 of my /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is:
    a5d6cce5250c0a03ad6f501cd0d8b5eb09a48c5c */KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    instead of what is in the /KNOPPIX/sha1sums file:
    c873541e03834e9b9574089bf3461e8a8b0f4931 *KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    Best Regards,
    Gilles
    My sha1 is the same as yours:
    a5d6cce5250c0a03ad6f501cd0d8b5eb09a48c5c */media/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    Best regards,
    Stefan

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    I've been following this thread for over a month now, keenly waiting for Knoppix 7 to appear on the mirror sites, having been using 6.7.1 since it was released.

    Is it expected to have been released by now, or could there be anything that's delaying it, i.e. known bugs etc..?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00