More Info:
The Volume Control is not displayed in the panel. although the applet is added ...see scrennshot
Re.:
HP Pavilion g6-1b67ca Laptop
Knoppix 6.7.1 USB Install
The terminal printout of 'lspci' clearly shows that there is an Audio device detected but there is probablyroot@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1705
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9647
00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 1714
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1709
no driver for it installed.
I can not play any mp3 files with GNOME MPlayer.
When I click on a song and open it with GNOME MPlayer the title is recognized but immediately after "play" it is "stopped".
What is missing?
More Info:
The Volume Control is not displayed in the panel. although the applet is added ...see scrennshot
Hi, As I'm still struggling with myissue, I wonder where I could get theNo Sound
lshw - list hardware tool or inxi - a Information retrieval script to extract more detailed information on the hardware and installed/used drivers configuration of my Laptop? BTW, it is, in my opinion, not a bad idea to have such tools installed by default on Knoppix!
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 03-14-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: formatted by moderator
Within Knoppix is hwinfo installed. To get an overview typeto get special information use the hw_items - in your caseCode:hwinfo --helpIf you like lshw, you can install it with aptitude (or Synaptic); to install inxi have a look at http://code.google.com/p/inxi/wiki/InstallationCode:hwinfo --sound
Hi Werner, I really appreciate your fast response....'hwinfo' works great! If you don't mind, please have a look on the info for sound ...I wonder why I get two, slightly different, results concerning the Vendor, SubVendor, Device? Thank you!
Now we know that your system has got two audio devices. What is the output of the commandCode:cat /proc/asound/cards
Do you have a soundcard and onboard-sound?
This is what i says:I have absolutely no clue why there are two devices!Code:knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards 0 [Generic]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic HD-Audio Generic at 0xf0544000 irq 43 1 [Generic_1]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic HD-Audio Generic at 0xf0540000 irq 16
--------------------
If you use the "Go Advanced" button, you have more abilities to format your posting and with the "Preview Post" button you'll see, how your posting looks like.
Greetings Werner
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 03-15-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: formatted by moderator
I would suggest that you create a configuration file .asoundrc in your home directory.

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$14.86
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99