-
edit desktop icons
Hello. I have installed Knoppix 6.7. I wish to change the icon for a desktop shortcut. I've searched the net and found some "answers", but nothing seems to pertain to the knoppix system/desktop. Can desktop shortcut (link) icons be changed, if so - how? Thanks.
-
You can create a desktop shortcut, if you select a menuentry with right-mouse-click => "Add to desktop".
Now have a look within the folder '/home/knoppix/Desktop' and there in the new created file xyz.desktop. Change the line "Icon=... " as you need.
-
problem persists
Thank you for assistance. You said:
"You can create a desktop shortcut, if you select a menuentry with right-mouse-click => "Add to desktop"."
I have never seen that option available by right-clicking anywhere, everywhere, on anything. I have seen a "make link" option, but not on every computer that I have run installed Knoppix 6.7 on. (I've tried a few computers.) The make link option puts a link in the same folder as the program. I then move the link to the desktop.
Then you say:
"Now have a look within the folder '/home/knoppix/Desktop' and there in the new created file xyz.desktop. Change the line "Icon=... " as you need."
I right-click on the link, as the link appears on the desktop AND as it appears in the '/home/knoppix/Desktop' folder, I see no options in the right-click menu that pertain to an icon, so I try to open the link with Leafpad, thinking that it is a text file that could have the line "Icon=...", and I find non-text content. I've tried to explore any possibility that I can think of on my own, and having no luck, I ask the questions here. I try to implement any answers, but do not see what I should when I follow the instructions.
Thank you for continuing to help. I wonder if I am totally misunderstanding everything or if there are many versions of Knoppix out there that look different, or if Knoppix can look different from one installation to another depending on the hardware of the computer. I would appreciate your comments.
Regards.
-
I have never seen that option available by right-clicking anywhere, everywhere, on anything.
For example:
LXDE-menu => System Tools => right-mouse-click to menupoint "HTop" => select "Add to desktop"
You will see a new desktop shortcut, the icon of "HTop".
Go to the folder '/home/knoppix/Desktop' and open the file 'htop.desktop' with an editor (mcedit, leafpad or vim) and you can see the line:
Icon=htop
-
Thank you, sir. I do see what you describe and it works well. I apologize for not stating better that I am trying to create desktop links for .exe files that run using wine. (Because I come from the Windows world, I assumed that everyone would know what I was talking about.)
I right-click on the .exe file and use the option of "Make Link" and move that link to the desktop.
My question is how to change the icon of that link on the desktop. That is where I do not see options available when I right-click, etc.
And, really, one HD installation of Knoppix DVD would not show a "Make Link" option when I right-click on a file, whereas another HD install on a different HD using the same computer does show that option for any file that I right-click on. But that's a quirk that I don't care to worry about now.
Sorry for any confusion.
-
I am trying to create desktop links for .exe files that run using wine.
If you want a starter on the desktop from executable wine-files, you have to create them by your own.
As an example the file '/home/knoppix/Desktop/wine-notepad.desktop'
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Notepad
Name[de]=Editor
Comment=A clone of Windows Notepad
Comment[de]=Ein Windows Editor Klon
Exec=notepad
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=wine-notepad
Categories=Wine-Programs-Accessories;
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00