If you get a sha1sums error of KNOPPIX then your DVD is damaged. You may have sucess to install Knoppix; nevertheless nobody can tell you where within this huge 3900MB compressed file an error or a lot of errors are.
Hi Everyone
I've just tried installing Knoppix 7.0 from the magazine DVD [on the hard disk of my ageing Compaq desktop] [with the cheatcodes nodrm and no3d for my ageing graphics card] and towards the end of the process got an error message saying the install or copying had not worked properly. So I clicked on the option of repeating the install process but first I checked the sha1sums of the files on the dvd against the values given in the DVD text file. All seemed correct except for the main KNOPPIX file which gave a different value from the expected. I checked this file again and the value was repeatable but still different from the 'official' value.
So then I thought I've got nothing to lose [except half an hour of computer time] by repeating the install and then choosing not to repeat the process [again] when the error message appeared - upon which the installer completed, grub installed and I rebooted and everything seems fine. All the programmes I've tried seem to work fine, as far as i've found so far, so what is the error message picking up? Any ideas please, anyone? Maybe in this particular case it is safe to ignore the error message?
Best wishes, John
If you get a sha1sums error of KNOPPIX then your DVD is damaged. You may have sucess to install Knoppix; nevertheless nobody can tell you where within this huge 3900MB compressed file an error or a lot of errors are.
Hi Werner
Thank you. Yes I was afraid that would be the case - that I just hadn't happen to use the "bad" part YET. I've emailed the magazine with my data to ask what they think. I just wondered if someone making up the magazine .iso file might have done a last minute software change and forgotten to update the sha1sum values. But I expect your answer is the right one. I'll post back when I hear from Linux Magazine.
Konqueror is the only browser that will let me post to the forum today - iceweasel and chrome are blocking the site for sending posts.
Best wishes, John
Hi there
Yes, Linux Magazine replied that it must have been a bad dvd copy that I got and they are going to send me a new one. Sounds as if no one else had reported such a problem. So hopefully it was a one-off.
Best wishes, John

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00
Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00