Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 7.0 HD Install from Linux Magazine DVD -error message

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34

    Knoppix 7.0 HD Install from Linux Magazine DVD -error message

    Hi Everyone
    I've just tried installing Knoppix 7.0 from the magazine DVD [on the hard disk of my ageing Compaq desktop] [with the cheatcodes nodrm and no3d for my ageing graphics card] and towards the end of the process got an error message saying the install or copying had not worked properly. So I clicked on the option of repeating the install process but first I checked the sha1sums of the files on the dvd against the values given in the DVD text file. All seemed correct except for the main KNOPPIX file which gave a different value from the expected. I checked this file again and the value was repeatable but still different from the 'official' value.

    So then I thought I've got nothing to lose [except half an hour of computer time] by repeating the install and then choosing not to repeat the process [again] when the error message appeared - upon which the installer completed, grub installed and I rebooted and everything seems fine. All the programmes I've tried seem to work fine, as far as i've found so far, so what is the error message picking up? Any ideas please, anyone? Maybe in this particular case it is safe to ignore the error message?

    Best wishes, John

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    If you get a sha1sums error of KNOPPIX then your DVD is damaged. You may have sucess to install Knoppix; nevertheless nobody can tell you where within this huge 3900MB compressed file an error or a lot of errors are.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi Werner
    Thank you. Yes I was afraid that would be the case - that I just hadn't happen to use the "bad" part YET. I've emailed the magazine with my data to ask what they think. I just wondered if someone making up the magazine .iso file might have done a last minute software change and forgotten to update the sha1sum values. But I expect your answer is the right one. I'll post back when I hear from Linux Magazine.
    Konqueror is the only browser that will let me post to the forum today - iceweasel and chrome are blocking the site for sending posts.
    Best wishes, John

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    34
    Hi there
    Yes, Linux Magazine replied that it must have been a bad dvd copy that I got and they are going to send me a new one. Sounds as if no one else had reported such a problem. So hopefully it was a one-off.
    Best wishes, John

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$229.95



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08