-
Junior Member
registered user
Custom data on floppy querie
On 3.1, I used to save details to floppy and reload AOK.
On 3.2 I seem to save data AOK, but at boot pront I type:-
knoppix myconfig=scan
or
knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy
and I get this error message:-
'mount failed retry [Y/n]'
and thats it all my settings blown away, yet again.
3.2 is great, its a shame to live with 3.1 for such a silly detail!
The motherboard is QDI running an Athlon processor, 256Mb ram. Its seems solid as its run Seti for 6 months!
Any ideas, very welcome!!
TIA
Tim
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Custom data on floppy querie

Originally Posted by
timmoore47
On 3.1, I used to save details to floppy and reload AOK.
On 3.2 I seem to save data AOK, but at boot pront I type:-
knoppix myconfig=scan
and I get this error message:-
'mount failed retry [Y/n]'
and thats it all my settings blown away, yet again.
I posted almost the same question two posts back. I get exactly the same errors you do...
Looks like all the version 3.2 releases are broken. The 5/20 and 6/06 versions are both broken for sure.
Looks like no one uses the save/restore configuration option.
-jb
-
Junior Member
registered user
Still broken.... : ((
On a complex network situation, not being able to save the settings is a major pain! Also if you use a word processor its nice to save the source. Maybe that bit still works!
Many thanks for the reply!
Anybody else with any ideas?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Still broken.... : ((
I talked to a nice fellow (jasonHK) on the #knoppix IRC channel last night. He uses a USB memory stick to save his home directory and knoppix configuration settings.
Both the computers I'm currently running knoppix on have USB ports, so I'm going to pick up a memory stick on the way home tonight. I'll let you know if it works out...
-jb
-
Junior Member
registered user
Do let me know how it goes?
I'm pepared to put in a dedicated HD for Knoppix. Its a great version of Linux but I can't re-customise on each power on! Major pain!
Tim
-
Junior Member
registered user
I purchased a 32 megabyte USB memory key for $29. It correctly stores and restores my Knoppix configuration and home directory data in Knoppix v3.2 2003-06-06-EN. 
I start Knoppix with "knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=scan" and the configuration and home directory image/data is restored.
It is certainly nice not to have to set the configuration and networking up everytime I boot the Knoppix CD!
Although I have it working, I do have a few questions that I'm going to post in a separate message. I think I made it a lot harder than it really is...
-jb
-
Junior Member
registered user
Congrats! I'll have to try that!
Tim
Similar Threads
-
By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
-
By uttara_82 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By Dodson65 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
-
By gatzke in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:09 AM
-
By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95