Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Custom data on floppy querie

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13

    Custom data on floppy querie

    On 3.1, I used to save details to floppy and reload AOK.

    On 3.2 I seem to save data AOK, but at boot pront I type:-

    knoppix myconfig=scan

    or

    knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy

    and I get this error message:-

    'mount failed retry [Y/n]'

    and thats it all my settings blown away, yet again.

    3.2 is great, its a shame to live with 3.1 for such a silly detail!

    The motherboard is QDI running an Athlon processor, 256Mb ram. Its seems solid as its run Seti for 6 months!

    Any ideas, very welcome!!

    TIA

    Tim

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16

    Re: Custom data on floppy querie

    Quote Originally Posted by timmoore47
    On 3.1, I used to save details to floppy and reload AOK.
    On 3.2 I seem to save data AOK, but at boot pront I type:-
    knoppix myconfig=scan
    and I get this error message:-
    'mount failed retry [Y/n]'
    and thats it all my settings blown away, yet again.
    I posted almost the same question two posts back. I get exactly the same errors you do...

    Looks like all the version 3.2 releases are broken. The 5/20 and 6/06 versions are both broken for sure.

    Looks like no one uses the save/restore configuration option.


    -jb

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13

    Still broken.... : ((

    On a complex network situation, not being able to save the settings is a major pain! Also if you use a word processor its nice to save the source. Maybe that bit still works!

    Many thanks for the reply!

    Anybody else with any ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16

    Re: Still broken.... : ((

    I talked to a nice fellow (jasonHK) on the #knoppix IRC channel last night. He uses a USB memory stick to save his home directory and knoppix configuration settings.

    Both the computers I'm currently running knoppix on have USB ports, so I'm going to pick up a memory stick on the way home tonight. I'll let you know if it works out...


    -jb

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Do let me know how it goes?

    I'm pepared to put in a dedicated HD for Knoppix. Its a great version of Linux but I can't re-customise on each power on! Major pain!

    Tim

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    16
    I purchased a 32 megabyte USB memory key for $29. It correctly stores and restores my Knoppix configuration and home directory data in Knoppix v3.2 2003-06-06-EN.

    I start Knoppix with "knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=scan" and the configuration and home directory image/data is restored.

    It is certainly nice not to have to set the configuration and networking up everytime I boot the Knoppix CD!

    Although I have it working, I do have a few questions that I'm going to post in a separate message. I think I made it a lot harder than it really is...


    -jb

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Congrats! I'll have to try that!

    Tim

Similar Threads

  1. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
  2. custom cd
    By uttara_82 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 06:06 PM
  3. Knoppix can't find config data on floppy
    By Dodson65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
  4. Custom Floppy
    By gatzke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:09 AM
  5. boot from floppy failed with Custom Kernel
    By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch picture

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch

$379.00



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$222.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99