Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Backwards Compatibility BUG

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Activate Wifi, Broadcom B43 way

    Knoppix forum,

    I can only find these OLD Hotlinks to activate Wifi:

    http://smtp.knoppix.net/wiki/Network...ppix_5.1.1_FAQ

    http://smtp.knoppix.net/wiki/Network...ppix_5.3.1_FAQ

    Is there anything NEW, or are the OLD DOCS still valid?

    Reply requested, please . . .

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther

    I think you can stop digging now. See my Post #10.
    And, well done.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Hope at last

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I think you can stop digging now.
    Hey utu!

    What's interesting to me, I didn't know Knoppix existed the beginning of 2012.
    Then I stumbled across 6.4.3, nicely barried out in cyberspace, somewhere.

    Adriane, on this version runs beautiful on a 200MHz, 80MB RAM antique micro.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther

    I expect Klaus2008 may be able to show you how, but
    building and installing b43 from scratch is probably a more difficult exercise than you want to undertake.

    If or when Klaus K tackles this problem, I would expect to see the result around mid-year in an update on Knoppix 7.0.
    I would not necessarily expect to see an amended 6.7.1.

    An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
    I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
    Last edited by utu; 04-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther

    At your convenience...

    for your 6.4.3 LiveCD, I'd like to see:
    ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

    and for b43 or any b43... directory, for example
    ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy

    also less /boot/config*|grep -i b43

    and less /boot/config*|grep -i wl

    I would like to know if 6.4.3 somehow had both b43 AND wl
    built into its kernel. I'm pretty sure this NOT the case
    for 6.7.1 and 6.4.4. It will make it a lot easier if we
    can build BOTH into the kernel and just activate only the
    right one. I'm not sure that's possible, but perhaps 6.4.3
    will tell us it is.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    6.4.3 LiveUSB

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    for your 6.4.3 LiveCD, I'd like to see:
    ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    adm8211.ko     atmel_cs.ko   iwlwifi          orinoco     rtl818x
    airo.ko         atmel_pci.ko  iwmc3200wifi      p54         wl12xx
    airo_cs.ko     b43           libertas          prism54     wl3501_cs.ko
    at76c50x-usb.ko  b43legacy     libertas_tf      ray_cs.ko     zd1201.ko
    ath         hostap        mac80211_hwsim.ko  rndis_wlan.ko  zd1211rw
    atmel.ko     ipw2x00       mwl8k.ko          rt2x00
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
    Dear utu:
    Is this OK, so I can step-and-repeat the others?
    luther

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    'cont.

    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy
    b43legacy.ko
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo less /boot/config* |grep -i b43
    CONFIG_B43=m
    CONFIG_B43_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
    CONFIG_B43_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
    CONFIG_B43_PCMCIA=y
    CONFIG_B43_SDIO=y
    CONFIG_B43_PIO=y
    CONFIG_B43_PHY_LP=y
    CONFIG_B43_LEDS=y
    CONFIG_B43_HWRNG=y
    # CONFIG_B43_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY=m
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_LEDS=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_HWRNG=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DEBUG=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO=y
    CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y
    # CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_MODE is not set
    # CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO_MODE is not set
    CONFIG_SSB_B43_PCI_BRIDGE=y
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo less /boot/config* |grep -i wl
    CONFIG_IP_VS_WLC=m
    CONFIG_MTD_UBI_WL_THRESHOLD=4096
    CONFIG_SCSI_LOWLEVEL=y
    CONFIG_SCSI_LOWLEVEL_PCMCIA=y
    CONFIG_WLAN=y
    CONFIG_PCMCIA_WL3501=m
    CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_WLAN=m
    CONFIG_MWL8K=m
    CONFIG_IWLWIFI=m
    # CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_IWLAGN=m
    CONFIG_IWL4965=y
    CONFIG_IWL5000=y
    CONFIG_IWL3945=m
    CONFIG_WL12XX=m
    CONFIG_WL1251=m
    CONFIG_WL1251_SDIO=m
    CONFIG_WL1271=m
    CONFIG_WL1271_SDIO=m
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA49WLC=y
    CONFIG_UWB_WLP=m
    CONFIG_UWB_I1480U_WLP=m
    CONFIG_WLAGS49_H2=m
    CONFIG_WLAGS49_H25=m
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    External WiFi compatible w/6.7.1

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post

    An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
    I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
    Dear utu:

    I need more details of your external wifi setup? I'm picturing something like the
    digital camera connected via USB cable to the micro's I/O. Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD
    would be the only reason to approach your suggestion. Therefore, finding an
    external wifi that matches 6.7.1 package would be my concern. Any suggestions?
    I/O on the hp dv8000 notebook is USB 2.0
    luther

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther

    Almost.
    I specifically want to see sudo ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43.
    I'm pretty sure b43 is a directory with something in it.

    And thanks.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Thumbs up #5

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ luther

    Almost.
    I specifically want to see sudo ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43.
    I'm pretty sure b43 is a directory with something in it.

    And thanks.
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43
    b43.ko
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested picture

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested

$299.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$155.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$95.00



Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces

$40.99