Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Backwards Compatibility BUG

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    WiFi Work-Around for those w/B43 Requirement

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ luther

    I expect Klaus2008 may be able to show you how, but
    building and installing b43 from scratch is probably a more difficult exercise than you want to undertake.

    If or when Klaus K tackles this problem, I would expect to see the result around mid-year in an update on Knoppix 7.0.
    I would not necessarily expect to see an amended 6.7.1.

    An external wifi, compatible with your computer would be a possible interim solution.
    I use that approach to get some of the other distributions going.
    Knoppx Forum Members,

    I agree with utu, that an interim solution be possible. This is NOT something I have
    tried, but would this be a valid candidate:

    http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Wireles...3593945&sr=8-4

    Reply requested, please . . .

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    I need more details of your external wifi setup
    I use a Netgear wg111v2 to work with Ubuntu & clones. See, for example:
    http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2557

    I bought mine from Surplus a few years back for $10 or $15.
    This gets around my Broadcom nightmare with Ubuntu clones.
    It might help for Knoppix. I can't say, since I never needed it for that.

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ luther, in re your Post #21 about an 'N' dongle:

    This is a neat-looking little gadget at the right price, but it may not serve for two reasons:
    1. Many routers work with a & g but not N; N is fairly new.
    edit: I see it is n/g/b, so that's probably not a problem; g is ok.
    2. There's always a chance it needs a driver no linuxer has come up with.
    Does this sound familiar?

    Your best interim solution so far is Knoppix 6.4.3, and that's not bad.
    Last edited by utu; 04-20-2012 at 04:06 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Addendum to my post #23, in re Sanoxy 'N' dongle.

    One of the Amazon comments states that the unit works fine on linux
    by installing a driver via ndiswrapper.
    I think this may mean this device is a b43 candidate for fwcutter these days.
    If so, that's the problem we're already wrestling with, not a solution.

  5. #25
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Status summary on Broadcom wl vs b43 snag

    .
    Here's an interesting comparison, looking at Knopppix 6.4.4 relative to
    luther's Posts #16 and #20 for Knoppix 6.4.3:
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    adm8211.ko       atmel_cs.ko   iwmc3200wifi       p54            wl.ko
    airo.ko          atmel_pci.ko  libertas           prism54        wl1251
    airo_cs.ko       b43legacy     libertas_tf        ray_cs.ko      wl12xx
    at76c50x-usb.ko  hostap        mac80211_hwsim.ko  rndis_wlan.ko  wl3501_cs.ko
    ath              ipw2x00       mwl8k.ko           rt2x00         zd1201.ko
    atmel.ko         iwlwifi       orinoco            rtl818x        zd1211rw
    I think this means 6.4.4 has a kernel with wl built-in, lacking b43;
    whereas 6.4.3 has a kernel with b43 built-in, lacking wl.

    Hint:
    wl.ko shows up in 6.4.4 which I use, and b43.ko shows up in luther's 6.4.3

    So, I think this means we have to consider not only offering (at least)
    two drivers, but two kernels-to-match as well, for Broadcom users.
    Interestingly so, this actually occurred with Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.4.4
    taken together as one distribution. One size does not fit all here.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Beta test complete

    Summary:

    Further Broadcom support requested to Developer.


  7. #27
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    We will be lucky if Klaus K doesn't ban Broadcom wifis altogther from future consideration,
    as being a lot more trouble than its worth.

    I know of no current linux distro that supports both b43 and wl; it's either one or the other.
    The tangled list of which PCI-ID goes with which driver would make a nice hardware museum.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146

    Keep Linux open

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    We will be lucky if Klaus K doesn't ban Broadcom wifis altogther from future consideration,
    as being a lot more trouble than its worth.

    I know of no current linux distro that supports both b43 and wl; it's either one or the other.
    The tangled list of which PCI-ID goes with which driver would make a nice hardware museum.
    Dear utu:
    What excites me about the IBM PC/Clones is the ability to OPEN the hood! Software has always lagged behind and needs to catch-up! Software "101" in the distro world should be wireless networking. I've got NO use for the burnt ISO's that fail this basic hurdle.

    I found another keeper here:
    http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1104-released

    Thanks for your prompt replies.
    luther

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    .
    Here's an interesting comparison, looking at Knopppix 6.4.4 relative to
    luther's Posts #16 and #20 for Knoppix 6.4.3:
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    adm8211.ko       atmel_cs.ko   iwmc3200wifi       p54            wl.ko
    airo.ko          atmel_pci.ko  libertas           prism54        wl1251
    airo_cs.ko       b43legacy     libertas_tf        ray_cs.ko      wl12xx
    at76c50x-usb.ko  hostap        mac80211_hwsim.ko  rndis_wlan.ko  wl3501_cs.ko
    ath              ipw2x00       mwl8k.ko           rt2x00         zd1201.ko
    atmel.ko         iwlwifi       orinoco            rtl818x        zd1211rw
    I think this means 6.4.4 has a kernel with wl built-in, lacking b43;
    whereas 6.4.3 has a kernel with b43 built-in, lacking wl.

    Hint:
    wl.ko shows up in 6.4.4 which I use, and b43.ko shows up in luther's 6.4.3

    So, I think this means we have to consider not only offering (at least)
    two drivers, but two kernels-to-match as well, for Broadcom users.
    Interestingly so, this actually occurred with Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.4.4
    taken together as one distribution. One size does not fit all here.
    In trying this on Klaus K, I think there's a better, more plausible explanation:
    The kernel in 6.7.1 may not have been built to accept b43 modules,
    whereas, it appears 6.4.3/6.4.4 if they contain the same kernel DO accept both wl & b43 modules.

    If that's the case, 6.7.1 surely favors only wl at the expense of ALL potential b43 users.
    This turns out to be easily remedied by making sure future kernels don't preclude using
    all likely useful modules. It does NOT imply a proliferation of kernels.

  10. #30
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    The kernel in 6.7.1 may not have been built to accept b43 modules
    Klaus2008's post #7 is crucial here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95