So I am considering the purchase of a banged up macbook as a fixer-upper. It has a broken monitor and there currently is not an operating system installed. I need to test it to make sure that it can boot up before handing over any money for it. My plan was to use the Knoppix live boot cd and a mini-dvi to rca adapter that connects to a small portable television. I have a macbook of my own so I am using that to test if my approach will work. Upon boot up Knoppix starts up just fine and the dvi adapter is auto-detected so it is getting a signal. But my little television displays three rows, each containing scrambled copies of the proper screen, without color, that slide almost like a vhs tape that is tracking incorrectly. Occasionally a "No Signal" message appears and then a second later it flashes back to the sliding rows. I am assuming that there is some setting I must change in the "Monitior Settings" to get the proper appearance. But I have no idea what that setting might be. Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Matt

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99