1) A simple downloadable as per current set up would be nice;
2) The newbie part: I recently tried to run Knoppix on my HP Omni 600. All went well. Then I thought I would download and install (on the HDD in the /home/knoppix directory) the Scilab package. I tried installing both the rpm and the tar.gz with no luck. In each case the laptop seemed to simply "lock up". So :
a) was what I was trying to do make sense? I have been through what I think were the pertinent parts of the FAQ and it isn't quite clear to me what I can do with the HDD; and
b) assuming I'm not out to lunch with a), what might be causing the problem? Are there logs created somewhere during a crash?
Again, if I'm off topic here just point me to the proper resource. TIA.
m

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor
$79.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested
$54.50
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99