Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Automatically Start nm-applet After HD Install...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4

    Question Automatically Start nm-applet After HD Install...

    I just installed Knoppix 6.7.1 to HDD from a Live CD. While using the Live CD, The Network Manager's nm-applet places an icon in the panel, but after installing, the nm-applet icon is NOT in the panel. It appears that nm-applet isn't loaded in the case of a full install. I can load nm-applet by going to a terminal session and entering "nm-applet &", which will then place the applet's icon in the panel, with all working normally afterward. But, I want it to work the same as the Live CD.

    Question: How do I get nm-applet to load automatically?
    __________________________________________________ _

    IBM Aptiva, AMD K6 266MHz, 256Mb Memory, 15Gb HD, D-Link G122 USB Wireless

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    The NMApplet is also per default within HD installation within the panel (left of the clock).

    If you've removed it:
    right mouseclick to panel => Panel Settings
    within the window "Panel Preferences" => tab "Panel Applet"
    => button "Add" => select "System Tray"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hello Werner, and thanks for the quick reply.

    No, I didn't remove anything, and I've installed Knoppix 6.7.1 several times with the result always being the same, no nm-applet icon in the panel. Following your instructions, I find that the "System Tray" is already in the panel. In (Panel Preferences / Panel Applets) from the bottom, I have (Digital Clock, CPU Usage Monitor, System Tray. Volume Control, ...).

    Some additional info: When I enter "ps aux" in a terminal session, immediately after boot, but before manually starting nm-applet, "nm-applet" DOES NOT appear in the list of processes. After I enter "nm-applet &" to manually start nm-applet, "nm-applet" DOES appear in the list of processes. Apparently, nm-applet is not being launched automatically.

    Is it possible that the failure to launch nm-applet is an i586 issue?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    OK, over the past day or so, some foggy memories have returned of having been here before. Last year, I installed Knoppix 6.7.1 on a Compaq Deskpro (Pentium II), after having Knoppix 6.7.0 installed on it, and I ran into the exact same problem. After spending too much time trying (unsuccessfully) to get the nm-applet problem sorted, I re-installed 6.7.0, which worked great, proving the problem to not be an i586 issue. Last night, I installed 6.7.0 on the Aptiva, and Voila!!!, the nm-applet problem was gone. It's NOT an i586 issue.

    Now, with Knoppix 6.7.0 running great on the Aptiva, I have a different problem. I tried to install Samba, and had problem with dependencies. If there's a quick answer to this, here's the message that Synaptic returned:

    samba:
    Depends: samba-common (=2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze7) but 2:3.5.8~dfsg-1 is to be installed
    Depends: libwbclient0 (=2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze7) but 2:3.5.8~dfsg-1 is to be installed

    Otherwise, it's the topic of a different thread.

    Werner - Thanks for trying to help..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73