Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Boken Open Office Upgrade

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154

    Boken Open Office Upgrade

    I have a hard drive install of 3.2, and wanted to upgrade Open Office to the new beta.
    I used Apt-get remove openoffice-de-en to remove the old version, downloaded the beta tarball, then used tar to decompress it. I ran setup, and the install seemed to go ok, but now when I click on the open office toolbar icon, I get

    The desktop entry file /usr/share/applnk/Office/OpenOffice/openoffice.desktop has no Type=... entry.

    I guess the link is broken, but don't know how to fix it.
    If I try to run it from the Kmenu, nothing happens, I guess those links are broken too.
    How do I run it, and, if possible, fix the links?
    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If you downloaded the tarball and used setup to install, then you should have the following directory within your home directory: OpenOffice.org1.1/

    You can then Open OO, by going to a shell and cd OpenOffice.org1.1/

    Then ./soffice

    To be able to open OO from the task bar do the following:

    Right click on the current icon and remove it.

    Right click again on the taskbar and choose: Add/Special Button/Non-KDE Application

    Then navigate into your home directory and then into OpenOffice.org1.1/

    You will then want to select either soffice or navigate further into program and choose swriter or scalc or whatever.

    After you select soffice or swriter, the next box that pops up should have place to enter "Optional command line arguments" Click on the Icon beside it to choose an appropriate icon for OO. You may need to navigate through some of the submenus there to get to an icon that you like.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Great! That works, although just for anyone else having the same problem, if you installed as root, the path will, of course, be different!
    Thank you!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    More Open Office schenanigans...
    I am not sure I like the beta - I would really like to revert to the stable - I tried Apt-get remove openoffice-de-en, but the package has changed names - how would I find out what it is called to remove it?
    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    In a console window:
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt
    This gives you your selections in a file selections.txt then
    Code:
    [08:57 PM Thu Jun 19: root @ /home/stephen]
    ># cat selections.txt | grep openoffice
    openoffice-de-en                                install
    ttf-openoffice                                  install
    Will then you show the packages containing openoffice in their name.

Similar Threads

  1. Open Office
    By haloplayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 08:12 AM
  2. Fun with V3.6 - Part One - Open Office
    By el_supremo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 01:53 AM
  3. EN ISO, German Open Office.
    By EdlinUser in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 01:54 AM
  4. Open Office is in German!
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:31 PM
  5. Open Office and ver 3.2-2003-03-24-En
    By Nesser in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00 picture

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00

$279.00