Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Unable to recover hard drive on Widows 7 PC

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1

    Unable to recover hard drive on Widows 7 PC

    I recently had an operating system failure on my Dell XPS PC running Windows 7. It would not start up and I got a message saying
    Operating System Not Found
    I have successfully downloaded Knoppix 6.7.1, created my CD, and successfully booted off of the CD. On my screen I see the purple fractal background image and the Knoppix folder. When I open up my file manager I do not see my hard drive. All that I see are:

    knoppix folder desktop folder Applications Knoppix_FS Knoppix CD My Passport (my external hard drive)

    On the LXTerminal I ran
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and received the following information:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x41ffc810
         Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *           1       38912   312560608+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    What now? I have files on my hard drive that I need to recover, but I am at a loss as to what I need to do now. Is my hard drive still accessible? If so, how do I go about accessing my files so I can copy them to my external hard drive? Also, I am a brand new to Linux/Knoppix and am more than a bit lost. Thank you for any and all help that you can provide. Take care and have a great day.... ciao, john.


    --------------
    Please use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.
    WPS
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-17-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: formatted by moderator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT OF 2  Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG picture

LOT OF 2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG

$199.95



x6 SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx4 PC4-2133P DDR4 17000 ECC Memory HMA41GR7AFR4N-TF picture

x6 SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx4 PC4-2133P DDR4 17000 ECC Memory HMA41GR7AFR4N-TF

$170.00



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4 picture

Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4

$600.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM picture

LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM

$1799.99



LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM picture

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM

$99.99



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50