First of all, let us know it there is an empty partition on the laptop.(lowercase L!)Code:fdisk -l
Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to re-partition a single drive in a lenovo laptop and install Knoppix in conjunction with Win7 home edition? I use Fedora as my only OS on my desktop, but I've looked at a Knoppix Live DVD and am very interested. Would like to try it for general purposes before a full HD installation. Thanks Brpy
First of all, let us know it there is an empty partition on the laptop.(lowercase L!)Code:fdisk -l
Werner - no, no empty partition - the hard drive is a 512 gigabyte job, all formatted to ntfs. I was hoping that Knoppix had the ability to shrink the windows partition to about 50% of the HD, with Knoppix being installed on the rest. If this is not possible, I should be able to do this through Win7, but would have preferred to let Knoppix handle the task.
However, should I use a 3rd party utility to shrink the windows partition, will Knoppix be able to install to the new partition (I can, from memory, create a root (/) partition, a swap partition, and a /home partition), IE, can Knoppix create a grub installer which will recognise both windows and Knoppix?
Sorry for being so long winded, but I didn't get a W7 disk with the laptop, and would prefer not to damage that OS at this stage.
Thanks
You didn't answer my question - the output of "fdisk -l".
Of course, you can shrink the Windows partition with "gparted" (within Knoppix) and install Grub.
Doesn't offer Lenovo the possibility to burn 3 DVDs to rescue Windows7? Do it!
Warner - thank you - sorry about the fdisk business, but I know there are no spare partitions on the HD. I'll initiate options 2 and 3 above now - though not necessarily in that order. Again, many, many thanks.
As I know, Lenovo uses only three primary partitions: hidden boot partition, Windows partition and rescue partition. Therefore you have the ability to create a primary partition #4 and within this multiple logical partitions.
If Lenovo uses four primary partitons you've a problem, but not insoluble.
Why the aversion to letting Windows reduce the size of the NTFS partition?
My rule of thumb is to use the Windows tool to create/edit NTFS partitions and use a Linux tool (GParted) to create/edit Linux partitions.
So in this case I would use the inbuilt Windows 7 tool to reduce the NTFS partition and create some free space. Then I would use GParted to create partitions for Linux in the free space.
Why do I suggest this? Well, Microsoft do not release all their knowledge of NTFS and I am not convinced GParted developers have been able to glean it all with the confidence I require.
In german version of Windows 7:
Systemsteuerung => Verwaltung => Computerverwaltung => Datenträgerverwaltung
right-Mouseclick on the partition you want to shrink => Volume verkleinern ..
I never used it!
Danke, Herr Schulz.
A handy fact to know.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99
HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99
Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99