Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: unable to mount floppy drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11

    Exclamation unable to mount floppy drive

    I just got a set of floppy disks for my computer. i know they are old tech but I love to use them. i went to computer in file viewer and clicked on the floppy drive. It said it was a mount point and asked what program I wanted to open it with. I thought the floppy's I bought were per-formatted. I don;t know what it is asking me to do. Should I try to reformat them? I can't even find the floppy drive in fstab. And I can't manually mount it with mount in a terminal. I'm using knoppix 6.7.1 on an old HP pavilion 513W

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Open a terminal, insert a floppy disk with some files on it and issue the command
    Code:
    hwinfo --floppy
    This will give you information about the mount device name of you floppy disk drive. In my case I use a USB floppy disk drive connected to an old HP Omnibook and get the device name /dev/sdb.

    Then open a PCMan file manager. Do not select My computer from the menu, but click on the proper device in the left pane of the file manager. In my case I have to click on sdb.

    Before you remove the floppy disk right click on the device in the left pane of the file manager and unmount the disk.

    I hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    It seems that mounting and unmouting of floppy disks cannot be done with the PCMan file manager if your floppy disk drive is not a USB device but a conventional one.

    You could try the following.

    Open a terminal. Insert a floppy disk with some files on it into your floppy disk drive. Create a mount point, load the appropriate kernel module and mount your floppy disk.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/fd0
    sudo modprobe floppy
    sudo mount -o uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/fd0 /media/fd0
    Open a file manager and navigate to the directory /media/fd0. You should see the files on your floppy disk.

    Before you remove your floppy disk you should close the file manager and issue the command
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/fd0
    in a terminal.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    The problems is that all my floppys are file free... will try the suggestions anyway.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    hwinfo --floppy didn't give me anything.
    second idea worked until I try to unmount, it says /media/fd0 isn't mounted

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Which kind of floppy drive do you have - USB drive or a intern drive with floppy data cable? If intern drive,does BIOS recognize and/or support floppy disk and what kind of floppy disk? While booting do you see light of the drive-LED?

    If you have very old floppy disks the preformat may be damaged; therefore Knoppix cannot mount the disk. Try to new format a floppy disk.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    I reformated, setup the fstab file and everything seems to be working fine now. just one more question, how can i tell if the files are on the floppy without another floppy enabled computer?

    internal floppy, BIOS recognises it. 3.5 MF2HD 1.44 MB formatted for IBM ps/2 and compatible disks

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    well never mind my last post, same problems as before. any ideas?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00