Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Quick questions to 7.0.2 USB-Install

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Quick questions to 7.0.2 USB-Install

    1) How can I make knoppix64 the Default boot option?
    I tried editing the first Default in /KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg but it didn't work!
    2) I can't figure out how to activate my Desktop webcam, connected via usb port:
    lsusb: Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
    Am I missing something?
    3) What is the Password for Knoppix User? I was asked for it when I tried to setup my printer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Karibu View Post
    1) How can I make knoppix64 the Default boot option?
    I tried editing the first Default in /KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg but it didn't work!
    Next time you boot, at the boot prompt type
    knoppix knoppix64
    If that works, then reconsider how you compose syslinux.cfg.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Next time you boot, at the boot prompt type
    knoppix knoppix64
    If that works, then reconsider how you compose syslinux.cfg.
    It works when I enter 'knoppix64' at boot and I know how to access and edit syslinux.cfg.
    When I change the first line to "Default knoppix64" I wreck the system, not bootable anymore, black screen with message
    No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found! boot:
    I attached the edited syslinux.cfg file. I hope somebody can help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Karibou

    I was surprised that the default knoppix64 does what it does in my 702.
    It goes ahead and comes up with the 'linux' kernel (32-bit) rather than
    'linux64' (64-bit).

    When you say the cheat code 'knoppix64' worked, did you do a 'uname -s' to see
    what kernel you got? If 'uname -s' says 'linux64', it worked; if it says
    'linux', you still have a 32-bit kernel.

    The 'fine print' in Klaus K's 702 write-up says:
    "Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option 'knoppix64', supporting systems with more than
    4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only)."

    I have a bit shy of 4 Gb in my 64-bit system, so I (now) know I don't qualify for
    a 64-bit default selection.
    Last edited by utu; 06-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    One reason may be illustrated here: Avoid misleading people to think tht Iey can get real 64 bit system by choosing knoppix64. But I think 64-bits may do a better job in several cases, also with less memory. At least I have got the impression with an Asus ULV30.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Capricorny
    I was surprised to see this restriction.
    I thought there was some utility for near-but-less-than 4 Gb 64-bit computers to use 64-bit processing.
    Say, in re-mastering, to speed things up.
    And, I thought we had that capability in 6.7.1.
    Is my memory receding faster than I'm aware?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Also I would qualify from the memory point of view (15+GB) I get Linux too:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ uname -s
    Linux
    . I thought I had the 64bit version. As this is not the case, then my new THREAD is irrelevant!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Capricorny
    I was surprised to see this restriction. I thought there was some utility for near-but-less-than 4 Gb 64-bit computers to use 64-bit processing.
    Say, in re-mastering, to speed things up.
    And, I thought we had that capability in 6.7.1.
    Is my memory going faster than I'm aware?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I guess this restriction may be rather easily patched, as it is (or rather would normally be) only a question of choosing between two kernel images. But that doesn't make plain Knoppix more of a 64-bits system. For something more purely 64bits: Has anyone tried the advertised option to chroot into a 64 bits install? If that technique works, it may be possible to get somewhere faster..

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    See Klaus K's comments at Post #42 here:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/298...comments/page5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00