#29 Karibu
Issue #6a/b:
Here is a way (cut from my posting on remastering) to purge all the games in one swoop. But you will of course not have any space saving until you eventually remaster
Also from the post, how you can get actual the package list sorted by categories:Code:sudo aptitude purge `dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Section} ${Package}\n' | grep ^games | cut -d' ' -f2`
Example of selective purging, from same post:Code:dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Section} ${Package} ${Installed-Size}\n' | sort -n > knx702_DVDpack_sect2.txt
Of course, if you do an ordinary HD install, space will also be reclaimed.Code:sudo aptitude purge `dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Section} ${Package}\n' | grep ^editors | grep abiword | cut -d' ' -f2`
Last edited by Capricorny; 06-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.
@Capricorny
Thanks for the reply...
where do I find this posting?Here is a way (cut from my posting on remastering) to purge all
The posting is here:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29862-Simple-remastering-procdure-for-7.0.2
Running'knoppix testcd' at the same DVD on my Laptop and also Desktop lead to different results: For
Desktop the test was OK, for
Laptop testing /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX "Failed".
Has anybody have an explanation for that?
Last edited by Karibu; 06-04-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: spelling
The DVD drive within the laptop may be damaged.
Surely the laptop drive is to be blamed here. But it may be somewhat complex, in that you may not get errors with that drive and other media. Two pieces of hardware may both be "within specs" relative to standard testing equipment, yet they may deviate from the specs in "opposite" directions, resulting in failure when they are used together. I remember this happened a lot when music CDs were new, shops didn't hesitate to sell returned CDs, because usually, the new customer wouldn't notice the "defects". This is one of the physical rationales for slow CD burning, trying to reduce the variance in the writing process.
@ Karibu
I subscribe to Werner's & Capricorny's explanations.
There is a minor interpretation that you might try.
Perhaps the DVD is finger-printed and some players may be more forgiving.
Examine the shiny side for prints or abrasions.
Even if you don't see any, a wipe of the recorded surface with alcohol
using a soft rag might improve the situation enough your DVD
will work with both players.
I'd try that before anything more difficult.
Last edited by utu; 06-04-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Thanks for the inputs...
Cleaning didn't help...
what I kept secret so far is that I used Brasero burner and a
"TDK Rerecordable DVD-RW 4x" which has traces of usage...
I learned that those re-writable DVDs are not always reliable...
I'll burn another DVD+R (read only) and try again...
BTW is there a recommended DVD brand and which burner is preferably used.. ?
Last edited by Karibu; 06-05-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: another question
@ Karibu
I use Memorex 16x DVD+R (36 cents US each in 50s) and Brasero.
Any dvd recording problems I run into are due to either fingerprints or abrasion,
always obvious after the fact.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition
$435.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00