-
Senior Member
registered user
To all members who stumble to this thread
To all members who stumble to this thread:
Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
I upgraded my Flash plugin by
- Manually creating a plugins folder as:
Code:
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
- Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 , uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
- Then I tested with the flash version testing site . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
- Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
- Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.
Hopefully, the problems would be solved.
Last edited by rajibando; 08-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.
-

Originally Posted by
rajibando
To all members who stumble to this thread:
Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
I upgraded my Flash plugin by
- Manually creating a plugins folder as:
Code:
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
- Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 , uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
- Then I tested with the flash version testing site . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
- Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
- Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.
Hopefully, the problems would be solved.
I like to install the flashplayer "manually" and have noticed that the 64 bit version doesn't seem to show up in about
lugins under iceweasel. The 32 bit version however seems to run fine. You can just copy it into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.
/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins doesn't seem to work and neither does /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
At the moment I'm running knoppix v7.4.1.
I've done this manual install so many times that it's almost hardwired now:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cd Downloads/
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ tar xzf install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ uname -r
3.16.2-64
and closing/relaunching iceweasel and going to about
lugins shows:
Shockwave Flash
File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11.2.202.406
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
-
No code line was necessary for me, installed with Synaptic
flashplugin-nonfree
and
pepperflashplugin-nonfree
and all works fine.
The pepper thing is for seeing some stream contents.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Just a few updates for users now that Knoppix 7.4 is still out. Under Knoppix 7.4 using Adobe Flash still requires running an install script (the install scripts now offer several additional pieces of software that they did not offer in 7.0). This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully. However, it was not. Like 7.0 (which worked correctly previously but stopped working some time in July of this year), sites like Hulu tell me that I need to install Flash to view their content. As I used Knoppix mainly for web browsing, this will be a deal breaker for me.
If you want to run Abobe Flash under Knoppix I suggest trying to follow rajibando's instructions above. Or if you find yourself Linux challenged like me, try a different Live disc. So far Linux Mint is still the best version that I have found that comes with Abobe Flash already installed. I have also found that PCLinuxOS includes a working copy of Adobe Flash. It isn't working right for my hardware, the screen is defaulting to 3x4 aspect ration at boot even though the laptop and the external monitor are both 16x9 format (this can be easily changed after boot) and the audio isn't working correctly (and resisting fixing) (both Knoppix and Linux Mint get both of these right). Results on different hardware may vary, so if Linux Mint isn't right for you then PCLinuxOS may be another option.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully.
I've tested it on my laptop using a flash disk install of V7.4.0 on a 8GB USB stick. The sript needed 4 min for "aptitude update" ( because I didn't it before) and needed 1 min 32 sec for installation of flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
With this I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394; this is the newest version from Adobe for free. Therefore it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above.
Perhaps it's time to update your hardware. Knoppix is an up-to-date Live Linux and it requires up-to-date hardware.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Disclaimer, and some observations

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
... it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above ...
First of all, I need to say that the instruction is not mine, friends
. So I don't deserve the credit. In fact, user89 had discussed it in brief. Also, as I have stated earlier, in the Post No.6&7 the archive install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz downloaded from the Adobe site contains a readme.txt file that contains the requisite information, though not very clear or correct. But it takes little effort to bridge the gap and anyone should be able to do it.
So the instructions are Adobe's really, not mine!
And it is necessary to remember the instructions, because Adobe will surely update its Flash Plugin in between two Knoppix releases, and installing the new version via the native Knoppix method might not work, like it didn't presently. Then the steps would again be necessary to install the Flash Plugin.
I repeat with emphasis: It _is_ imperative to remember the Manual Installation Steps via the native Readme.txt file of the archived Flash plugin install_flash_player_xx_linux.yyy.tar.gz. (xx version no. and yyy, the architecture of the CPU).
Last edited by rajibando; 08-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
Perhaps it's time to update your hardware. Knoppix is an up-to-date Live Linux and it requires up-to-date hardware.
The hardware in question is a relatively new HP laptop, dual core, 4 gig of memory, that came with Win7. Since I'll never considering buying a Win 8.x system, this is the newest system that I have that I can run Knoppix on, and I really can't buy newer.
The hard drive has failed and the screen is cracked. I don't see those as likely to be issues with running Knoppix from DVD.
I don't know how you pulled off the instal that you are talking about at the speed you saw. We certainly may have different Internet speeds, and the U.S.A. is far behind Europe and even many third world countries in that regard because we carve out monopolies for rich ISPs and then give them incentives to over charge rather than upgrade equipment. Still, the connection is not bad relative to other local options. What I see when I run the script to install Adobe Flash from the Knoppix->Install Components menu is that numerous little installs happen, and each of them may take from many seconds to several minutes or more. The estimates of how much time for each task will jump around a good bit during the downloads, and the indicated speeds are less than I see when I just download files from other sites through the connection, making me believe that it is the source of the files that is the bottleneck more than a speed limitation on my end. Only Knoppix is using the Internet connection at the time, there are no other users doing downloads and competing for bandwidth. So I'm confused on why we are seeing such drastic differences in speeds (and would like to see other reports of how long it is taking people to do the "Adobe Install" from the Knoppix menu, particularly from users in the United States. However, since the "install" doesn't really get me a working copy of flash, the issue seems far less important.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
needed 1 min 32 sec for installation of flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
With this I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394; this is the newest version from Adobe for free.
Hello, Werner.
I'm using V7.4.0 on a 8GB USB stick, and have installed flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
Would you please tell me, step by step, what have I to do to get Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed and working?
Thanks,
Eduardo
Last edited by Porteņo; 09-05-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Reason: missed to write "what have I to do"
-
.. what have I to do to get Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed and working?
Hello Eduardo!
Code:
aptitude update
aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
After this have a look at "Iceweasel => Tools => Add-ons => Plugins"
On websites with Flash content use within Iceweasel the "NoScript" icon => "Temporarily allow all this page"
-
My apologies for answering so late...busy week.
I did what you said and it worked!
Thanks, Werner.
PS: For some other stream contents I installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree (Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin) from Synaptic and now I have video and images for Iceweasel and Chromium.
Thanks again!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 400800 PAL CPU6502C Sally PCB with PAL ANTIC GTIA G3D
$70.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75