-
Hi, Mr. Schulz, why is it that you say hello to Mr. Kuhman but not to me ..
Yes, I know your real name from PM and also from some other people of this forum. But I don'l like nicknames and I never use it within a greeting formula. I respect it, if people want to hide themselves. It is something else, if people here use a real name. If so, I'll use their first name for greetings.
Hence, in particular cases,
we do need to remember the manual install methods.
Yes, but the use of apt or aptitude is a manual install method and nothing happens automatic. I prefer aptitude.
If you use "aptitude install foo", then aptitude tries to find a solution. If there are problems, aptitude offers to look for other solutions or to quit. Perhaps, one of the other suggestions will fit. If no, you can try "aptitude install -t stable foo" or "aptitude install -t testing foo" or one of the many other options of aptitude.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Regarding rewriting of man pages with many examples

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
...But I don'l like nicknames and I never use it within a greeting formula. I respect it, if people want to hide themselves. ...
Thanks for explaining!
You _can_ always use my first name or my family name. There is nothing secretive about it. 'rajibando' is just my user name. In Debian, Ubuntu and Geogebra, I use my gmail user name. The name issue arises just because of the username one has to choose. I chose an intuitive one some fifteen years back, during the initial stages of internet exposure in my country.

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
...If there are problems, aptitude offers to look for other solutions or to quit. Perhaps, one of the other suggestions will fit. If no, you can try "aptitude install -t stable foo" or "aptitude install -t testing foo" or one of the many other options of aptitude...
The difficulty with aptitude is the lack of illustrative examples, something which irks me. I had even decided at one point to rewrite the man pages of linux but I don't know where to begin. For each binary file (core utilities and other files) there are different maintainers. It would be difficult for me to contact each one when there is no centralised resource.
-
Hello Rajib,
perhaps the study of Debian 7 and of Debian Reference will get you any further.
Greetings Werner
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thank you
The newer version is definitely better!
-
needed 1 min 32 sec for installation of flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
With this I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394; this is the newest version from Adobe for free.
Hello, Werner.
I'm using V7.4.0 on a 8GB USB stick, and have installed flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
Would you please tell me, step by step, what have I to do to get Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed and working?
Thanks,
Eduardo
Last edited by Porteņo; 09-05-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Reason: missed to write "what have I to do"
-
.. what have I to do to get Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed and working?
Hello Eduardo!
Code:
aptitude update
aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
After this have a look at "Iceweasel => Tools => Add-ons => Plugins"
On websites with Flash content use within Iceweasel the "NoScript" icon => "Temporarily allow all this page"
-
My apologies for answering so late...busy week.
I did what you said and it worked!
Thanks, Werner.
PS: For some other stream contents I installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree (Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin) from Synaptic and now I have video and images for Iceweasel and Chromium.
Thanks again!
-

Originally Posted by
rajibando
To all members who stumble to this thread:
Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
I upgraded my Flash plugin by
- Manually creating a plugins folder as:
Code:
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
- Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 , uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
- Then I tested with the flash version testing site . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
- Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
- Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.
Hopefully, the problems would be solved.
I like to install the flashplayer "manually" and have noticed that the 64 bit version doesn't seem to show up in about
lugins under iceweasel. The 32 bit version however seems to run fine. You can just copy it into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.
/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins doesn't seem to work and neither does /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
At the moment I'm running knoppix v7.4.1.
I've done this manual install so many times that it's almost hardwired now:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cd Downloads/
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ tar xzf install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ uname -r
3.16.2-64
and closing/relaunching iceweasel and going to about
lugins shows:
Shockwave Flash
File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11.2.202.406
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
-
No code line was necessary for me, installed with Synaptic
flashplugin-nonfree
and
pepperflashplugin-nonfree
and all works fine.
The pepper thing is for seeing some stream contents.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW
$121.45

MSI B560M Pro-E LGA 1200 Intel B560 M-ATX Intel Motherboard Intel 10th 11th gen
$69.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$71.49

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7
$69.59