rijabando: Yes, I know about file associations and understood what was happening. That doesn't mean that I (or others following the given instructions) know how to change these associations in Linux. With an installed system it is reasonable to expect that file associations may be different for different users, but for a LIVE DVD we are working with a well defined situation. As far as I know Knoppix does not change any file associations based on hardware configuration, so I had expected that the instructions provided would work on a stock Knoppix system booted from an optical disc. They didn't, which unfortunately is what I find to be far too typical of the Linux experience and what is still keeping it from the mainstream desktop. Sure, those who know all of the secret handshakes recognize the problem and fix it instantly, it is so simple to them that they don't even bother to mention the actual steps taken.

And I'm not saying that as an ignorant user who shouldn't be allowed to even have a computer in the first place. I was a hacker in college even before the term was well know and worked all of my professional life in software. I've worked with many operating systems very intimately, diagnosing and repairing bugs deep inside OSs and system software. I can program in assembly as well as higher level languages. I've picked through core dumps and resolved problems many times, both software and hardware issues. I've written a forth interpreter as part of a three man team. I had figured out all but one of the hardware tricks of the C64 BEFORE the C64 programmer's manual was released. But Linux doesn't make even using it as a basic user easy. There is way too much that the experts assume everyone should just somehow "know". And when the users don't innately know something the experts too frequently point this out without ever saying just what the basic user needs to move to the next step.

I also know the lore about Chromium having Flash built in and the Install only being for Firefox/Iceweasel. All I can say about that is that it conflicts with the facts. I could run the Knoppix->install Components->flash option and still was completely unable to access flash sites with Iceweasel (and I generally prefer Firefox over Chrome although each has their merits). And if I booted Knoppix but didn't do the Knoppix->install Components->flash, Chromium would fail on the flash based sites for me. When I did the install that supposedly only affects Iceweasel then Chromium would work on the sites that I was interested in (and Iceweasel would not).

Warner: To be honest, I don't remember exactly what the issue with 7.2 was. I did get a good download, checked the md5 chacksum and confirmed that I had a good low speed burn. It just didn't work well on this particular hardware. And I do acknowledge that I have less than perfect hardware, no hard drive, broken screen, can't even get to the BIOS because it doesn't recognize and access the HDMI output the way the Knoppix does. This wasn't the first time that a newer version of Knoppix failed over older versions (I stayed on 4.02 for quite a while because it suddenly supported a PC card WiFi interface correctly that older versions and, sadly, newer versions would fail on.) So I simply made the reasonable-at-the-time choice to stay with the 7.0 that did all that I needed than to add to my problems with 7.2.

Yes, maybe I should find my 7.2 DVD again (or download another copy). The first thing that I looked at was if there was anything newer than 7.2, but that was not the case. But if I'm going to start downloading again anyway, I was hoping that someone here might know of a distro of a live DVD that I could use that already included a viable flash in it (maybe one of those ones with too many vowels in the name or even something less mainstream so not to attract the ire of Adobe). Particularly since I remember enough about 7.2 to remember that it didn't work well for me.