Greetings, Werner.
Glad to see you've brought this up-to-date.
Have you noticed any effects, good or bad, now that we have zram?
Regards.
I've adapted the kn-remaster script for the new Knoppix DVD-versions 7.0.x
http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Greetings Werner
Greetings, Werner.
Glad to see you've brought this up-to-date.
Have you noticed any effects, good or bad, now that we have zram?
Regards.
No, I noticed neither good nor bad effects. The used time to remaster the DVD is about 2 hours for me on my Laptop with 4GB RAM. Perhaps some people with a lot of time will do comparative measurements.
Just the time I've tested my script once more within a Knoppix (not Knoppix64) HW installation with 3GB RAM and 4GB swap. All over the time no swap has been used. Therefore I believe zram is of no use for remaster Knoppix.
Greetings again, Werner.
If one were to try a modification of your kn-recombine approach
on an 8 Gb CD-size LiveUSB without resorting to external storage for
the re-combination, might not zram allow that to work?
Something of this sort would make zram worthwhile for 4 Gb and
larger ram installations.
Regards.
At which point of "recombine" do you think zram can do the trick?
To recombine a DVD flash installation you need a lot of free space within a partiton (13 -15 GB) and you need RAM, RAM and RAM, not swap.
I know it may be a false hope, but zram has the potential to make my 4 Gb ram
act as though it were 12 Gb of memory with fast swapping going on.
I have done a kn-recombine of a CD-size LiveUSB with a 12 Gb Virtual set-up,
I've also done kn-rcombine of a CD-size LibeUSB on the same 16 Gb SanDisk
partitioned with 4 Gb for the LiveUSB and 12 Gb for the re-combination.
Hoping to scale that down to 8 Gb using zram.
Need a genius programmer to make this all happen.
You are dreaming..zram has the potential to make my 4 Gb ram
act as though it were 12 Gb of memory..)

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
Grandstream GXP2160 Enterprise HD 6 Line VoIP Phone - Black
$90.00
Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99
Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99
UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone
$55.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
$85.00