Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: kn-remaster script for new DVD-versions

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124

    kn-remaster script for new DVD-versions

    I've adapted the kn-remaster script for the new Knoppix DVD-versions 7.0.x
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html

    Greetings Werner

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Werner.

    Glad to see you've brought this up-to-date.
    Have you noticed any effects, good or bad, now that we have zram?

    Regards.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    No, I noticed neither good nor bad effects. The used time to remaster the DVD is about 2 hours for me on my Laptop with 4GB RAM. Perhaps some people with a lot of time will do comparative measurements.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Just the time I've tested my script once more within a Knoppix (not Knoppix64) HW installation with 3GB RAM and 4GB swap. All over the time no swap has been used. Therefore I believe zram is of no use for remaster Knoppix.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings again, Werner.

    If one were to try a modification of your kn-recombine approach
    on an 8 Gb CD-size LiveUSB without resorting to external storage for
    the re-combination, might not zram allow that to work?

    Something of this sort would make zram worthwhile for 4 Gb and
    larger ram installations.

    Regards.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    At which point of "recombine" do you think zram can do the trick?

    To recombine a DVD flash installation you need a lot of free space within a partiton (13 -15 GB) and you need RAM, RAM and RAM, not swap.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I know it may be a false hope, but zram has the potential to make my 4 Gb ram
    act as though it were 12 Gb of memory with fast swapping going on.
    I have done a kn-recombine of a CD-size LiveUSB with a 12 Gb Virtual set-up,

    I've also done kn-rcombine of a CD-size LibeUSB on the same 16 Gb SanDisk
    partitioned with 4 Gb for the LiveUSB and 12 Gb for the re-combination.

    Hoping to scale that down to 8 Gb using zram.

    Need a genius programmer to make this all happen.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ..zram has the potential to make my 4 Gb ram
    act as though it were 12 Gb of memory..
    You are dreaming )

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    You are dreaming )
    Yes, I am.
    I can see how zram helps the netbook situation, but
    I can't see how it helps the 4 Gb of ram situation.

    That is, I can't see an application that would both:
    a. benefit from zram; and
    b. be understandable to the user of modest requirements.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99