-
Senior Member
registered user
Squashfs KNOPPIX image: Smaller and faster to create
Update:
Times for the above script running, creating squashfs:
Code:
Set up workspace...............Thu Jun 21 10:01:06 UTC 2012
Copy live system...............Thu Jun 21 10:01:19 UTC 2012
Create squashfs...............Thu Jun 21 10:10:15 UTC 2012
Loopcreate persistent...............Thu Jun 21 10:15:57 UTC 2012
Purge workspace...............Thu Jun 21 10:17:14 UTC 2012
Ca 16 minutes for full remastering of a Poor Man's Install, on a slow (5400RPM, small cache) harddisk. Note that without a loop-mounted work image, purging temporary files may take quite some time. So the image technique is both file system agnostic and rather efficient.
And sizes for both images:
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3799736320 Jun 21 10:15 KNOPPIX.sq
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4035784755 Jun 20 13:06 KNOPPIX
It is of course possible to get higher isofs compression, but that will take some more time.
I think this illustrates the handiness of squashfs, and I wish Klaus K would include the small changes needed to support it in the minirt init script. Doesn't need to tell anybody about it, either, in case he is afraid of more support work 
If I get around to modifying it, I'll post a patch for the 7.0.2 minirt init, otherwise I think the structure of earlier posted patches still apply. This exercise was just for testing, but I must say I am tempted to use squashfs as the default - my whole current setup, including a lot of Java infrastructure, will then fit on a FAT32-file.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

4-Bay 2.5in SATA Docking Station for HDD, USB 3.0, Fan Cooler
$197.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00