Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Bring back sylog to Knoppix 7.

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Bring back sylog to Knoppix 7.

    .
    I don't know why Klaus K doesn't leave us with syslog and a decent log viewer.
    So I always put them back.
    If you can't imagine using syslog then don't bother with this.
    You can always see a text screen tail of syslog at alt-F12; BUT learn how to get
    back to graphics before you check that out.

    If you want sylog and a nice viewer, here's how to get them:

    First, as root, you need to add a line just below the /dev/tty12 line
    of /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf:
    Code:
    *.*;auth,authpriv.none     /var/log/syslog
    (use a tab to space these two strings)

    Second, you need to edit the command line of the menu item
    Main Menu>System Tools>Log File Viewer
    just add sudo at the front of 'pkexec...'.

    Now when you click on Log File Viewer you get a nice display of syslog.

    There are two additional free benefits.
    1. You get an Xorg.0.log; and
    2. You may get some static about auth.log, mail.log and (I forget what).log.
    I got rid of this spam by creating three empty files in /var/log with these names,
    then when I called-up the Log File Viewer, these showed up on the left as bookmarks.
    I used File>Close to remove each of these bookmarks.
    I've not been bothered since.
    I suppose I should close the three empty files sometime or other.

    This is not much to pay for such a nice viewer and syslog available in hard copy form.
    Last edited by utu; 06-06-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard picture

Asus ROG Strix B460-H LGA 1200 ATX Intel 10th Gen DDR4 Motherboard

$84.99