Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: How can I install Skype in Knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Skype is a rather proprietary thing, and there are free alternatives. From the Debian wiki page about Skype, see http://wiki.debian.org/skype:
    Skype is a non-free (proprietary) software. It isn't supported by Debian. It's probably wiser to use a VoIP software, like ekiga , linphone or jitsi !
    Then the wiki page goes on to explain how to install from Skype's repository. Add the correct deb reference to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    Code:
    deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
    Then proceed as with any other CLI package install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install skype
    I just tried it, got this result:
    Code:
    #>sudo apt-get install skype
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      skype
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1019 not upgraded.
    Need to get 20.2 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 26.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
      skype
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Get:1 http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable/non-free skype i386 2.1.0.81-1 [20.2 MB]
    Fetched 20.2 MB in 29s (694 kB/s)                                                             
    Selecting previously unselected package skype.
    (Reading database ... 364610 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking skype (from .../skype_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Setting up skype (2.1.0.81-1) ...
    #>
    I remember when doing something similar two years ago, that there were quite a few glitches when running Skype then. Haven't tried now. Beware that the 32-bits version should be used to minimize problems.
    BTW, ekiga and linphone are present already, so Skype should not be desperately needed. Anyone having bad experiences with them?
    Last edited by Capricorny; 06-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.

  2. #2
    I tried the "static" version of Skype on Knoppix 7, you can download it from the official website nothing to install, it works directly

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by user89 View Post
    I tried the "static" version of Skype on Knoppix 7, you can download it from the official website nothing to install, it works directly
    Installing static versions when they are available may often avoid lots of library version troubles etc, so for many, it may be an easy way to proceed. In my own use case, I'd rather prefer the .deb package, because of smaller footprint, simple deinstall, update handling etc. YMMV

  4. #4
    Important: if you use Skype 4, you should upgrade (fix)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.

    Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.

    Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 08-25-2012 at 02:44 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Dave View Post
    I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.

    Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.

    Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
    First, the Debian version of Firefox, Iceweasel, is usually pre-installed on Knoppix, and Icedove, Debian's Thunderbird is easily installed, for example using Synaptic.

    Second, with a non-free program like Skype, you can't have it both ways, so as long as Knoppix stays close to "pure" Debian, you'll normally have to do some kind of work yourself to install it. If it had been uploaded to some standard non-free repository, you might have installed it with Synaptic, like you can with the non-free flashplayer plugin, or Oracle Java. But I think that is something you should contact Skype about.

    I have given a working recipe to install Skype using command line above, but there is more than one way to do this, as has been noted in this thread. You should be able to add the Skype repository in Synaptic, and then install it like you install any other package.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    Thanks for the post. I could have sworn that Skype was one of the internet programs in the menu, but couldn't find it with knoppix 7.0.5 tonight.

    <sigh> found my own post from earlier in this thread - forgot I had the same issue before:]
    I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 02-27-2013 at 07:19 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Skype use in Knoppix, and some alternatives

    ...wondering why this isn't easier...
    Knoppix doesn't include or facilitate inclusion of Skype as it might.
    In researching why this should be, I have learned that there are both
    licensing and potential security issues that cause this to be so.

    Skype terms of use:
    http://www.skype.com/en/legal/tou/
    See especially the licensing section.

    Skype security considerations:
    http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/16407/skype-security-linux\
    See especially Ninefingers' comments.

    Without belaboring onerous licensing and potential security problems
    related to Skype, I am informed that Knoppix users might be better served
    by free software alternatives like Google+ Hangouts, standard SIP applications
    like ekiga and linphone, or XMPP-compatible programs like Pidgin.
    All of these have secure and open protocols, and best of all, are already
    included-in, or at least freely available and applicable-to Knoppix.

    This intends to amplify a hint Capricorny introduced back at post #9.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00