-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Denver Dave
I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.
Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.
Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
First, the Debian version of Firefox, Iceweasel, is usually pre-installed on Knoppix, and Icedove, Debian's Thunderbird is easily installed, for example using Synaptic.
Second, with a non-free program like Skype, you can't have it both ways, so as long as Knoppix stays close to "pure" Debian, you'll normally have to do some kind of work yourself to install it. If it had been uploaded to some standard non-free repository, you might have installed it with Synaptic, like you can with the non-free flashplayer plugin, or Oracle Java. But I think that is something you should contact Skype about.
I have given a working recipe to install Skype using command line above, but there is more than one way to do this, as has been noted in this thread. You should be able to add the Skype repository in Synaptic, and then install it like you install any other package.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99