-
help modifing (customizing) partitions for install of 7.2 to usb flash
I installed 7.2 on usb 16Gb flash with persistence. I deleted persistence (KNOPPIX-DATA), added new with ext2 format, resized it to make room for 3 rd partition. Formated partition 3 as fat32 so I could move files between other computers that would have Windows. This has not worked because Win XP and Win 7 only recognize one (the first) partition on usb flash.
Can anyone tell me how to get KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX-DATA on the 2nd and 3rd partitions and the 1st partition a fat32 and boot KNOPPIX from the 2nd partition? I am familiar with using grub (1) but have never used syslinux. Can this be done at install of KNOPPIX , after install or at all?
-
I don't know a way to use Knoppix himself in the 2nd and persistent memory in the 3rd partition. But why not do a Flash disk install and use remaining free space within 1st partition for Windows?
With a 16 GB USB for example you need 4GB for Knoppix himself; if you use 4GB for persistent memory (overlay file or overlay partition), you'll have remaining free space of about 8 GB within the 1st partition. To prevent trouble where to store Windows stuff, create a separate directory
Code:
su
mkdir /mnt-system/onlyWindows
-
Thanks for the suggestion . I was able to delete partition ,move partition 2 (knoppix-data) to the end , extend partition 1 to fill the rest, make directory and put files in directory, and read files from linux and Windows.
When I try to boot the usb I now get "boot error" . Can I fix this or have to reinstall 7.2?
-
-
The usb doesn't seem to be corrupted. The partitions are there and the files look ok. Seems like the boot sector is the only thing that is corrupted. There is a grub.exe and a syslinux.cfg on KNOPPIX. I don't know which one is the boot loader.
How do I reinstall the boot loader to the usb.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller
$295.00