Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Failure of Knoppix 7.2.0 with amd64 lenny

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4

    Failure of Knoppix 7.2.0 with amd64 lenny

    The problem I am at, is that I changed motherboard, CPU, and 2 x GPU, and the new system does not recognize the file system (grub2 on master record, raid1, md0). All other stuff is md1, LVM, vg1 seven partitions: home, user etc.

    With Knoppix 7.2.0, this morning I could fully analyze this amd64 raid1, with a recent kernel. It worked nicely, although by the vendor I had no internet connection.

    7.2.0 did not work, as I said, with a lenny server (kernel 2.6), while it worked with i386, recent kernel.

    Knoppix 5.3.1 failed to work with the new CPU-GPU machine, while it worked with the old server.

    So, it seems that one should use the Knoppix version according to the Debian kernel age of his hardware.

    All that just to answer quickly your kind message. Now I am busy in getting the new machine to work (molecular dynamics). After that, should you want detailed tests from me, please ask and I'll try to do (I am a biochemist, not and expert in computers, however)

    Thanks

    francesco pietra

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by chiendarret View Post
    The problem I am at, is that I changed motherboard, CPU, and 2 x GPU, and the new system does not recognize the file system (grub2 on master record, raid1, md0). All other stuff is md1, LVM, vg1 seven partitions: home, user etc.
    That kind of system surgery may be done fairly efficiently with Linux, and I have found old grub (legacy grub) to be simpler for such tasks. There may be any number of configuration issues involved in such a case. My experience is that one should count on them cropping up.
    With Knoppix 7.2.0, this morning I could fully analyze this amd64 raid1, with a recent kernel. It worked nicely, although by the vendor I had no internet connection.

    7.2.0 did not work, as I said, with a lenny server (kernel 2.6), while it worked with i386, recent kernel.
    Why did you expect it to work? And the name "kernel 2.6" subsumes a few years of kernel development, through something like 39 major revisions. Again, I know nothing about Knoppix 7.2.0, but 7.0.2 easily becomes somewhat dysfunctional when you use it with older kernels. You may get it up and running, but typically some functionality will be broken because of wrong kernel modules/behavior. If you need older versions, the safest is to compile and install them, and often there will be limits to what you can do, so you may need patched versions of older kernels.
    Knoppix 5.3.1 failed to work with the new CPU-GPU machine, while it worked with the old server.

    So, it seems that one should use the Knoppix version according to the Debian kernel age of his hardware.
    And my question is, where you got it from that you can do kernel/system mixing and matching and still have a fully functioning system? The rule is, that you have to match kernel and system carefully, which is why you should never attempt kernel swapping with Knoppix before you have got the system running in a reasonably stable way with the native kernel of the release, which is 3.3.7 for Knoppix 7.0.2. With legacy grub, you may just create a new subdirectory of the /boot directory grub works from, throw the kernel and minirt.gz (initrd) stuff in there and make an entry referring to this in /boot/grub/menu.lst. You can have several kernels/minirts there, with a menu entry for each combination.
    A few days ago, I tried to install a 3.X kernel package with a 64-bits squeeze-based Knoppix remastering (running custom compiled 2.6.39.2), and I couldn't even get the package to install correctly. You may of course have luck and just graft on a different pre-compiled kernel with no apparent problems, but don't expect the world to be so kind to you next time Good luck with your dynamics application!
    Last edited by Capricorny; 06-18-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00