-
-
Knoppix 64 bit hd-install
I had the same problem (knoppix64 hd-install) today, doing a hd-install of knoppix 6.7
in /boot i found a "vmlinuz-3.0.4-64" kernel image to which i created the softlink "vmlinuz64" in the same directory /boot being root
i altered the file /boot/grub/menu.lst as root to make the new 64bit Kernel appear there:
(...)
title KNOPPIX
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz64 root=/dev/sdb1 rootwait lang=de apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq tz=localtime loglevel=1 desktop=kde rw
(...)
i hope you use grub. if not, i'd try to redirect the "vmlinuz" link in /boot to your 64bit kernel image there, eg. something with "vmlinuz" and "64" in the filename. For me it was "vmlinuz-3.0.4-64"
the system now uses 64bit as i can use my 8gb ram. it shows some errors at bootup which i don't understand but nothing critical so far 
i'd like to hear your experience since i myself am unsure if i should use this for production work.
cheers, christian
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-19-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Reason: not Knoppix line deleted
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm using 7.0.2 with the 3.3.7 64-bits kernel all the time, but I mostly use Poor Man's Installs (PMIs): Just copy the KNOPPIX directory to somewhere harddisked, and make a (legacy) GRUB entry with the necessary directions. No problems whatsoever with that. But I cant remember i had trouble with the 0wn-install either. And I don't think there are, normally, any bootup errors.
I have found PMIs to be safest for production work: The system is, essentially, mounted read-only if you take care and stay independent of the persistent store for system tasks.
-
my above quoted method doesn't work out. i could not save any data in the end. 
-----
full quote deleted by moderator
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 07-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Reason: full quote deleted
-
Junior Member
registered user
Boooting to 64 bit Knoppix: SOLUTION
Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know how i managed to do this successfully. I noticed that the standard 32 bit was not reading all my memory (6GB) reported as like 2-3 Gb. So what i did is get a DVD iso (I still like the CD version to start), mounted it and and literally copied the /mnt/dvd/lib/modules/3.0.4-64 directory over to my booted (but driverless) 64 bit linux in /lib/modules/3.0.4-64. Once that is done, you can add a boot option to use the /boot/syslinux/linux64 instead. You will need to reboot once this is done of course.
I just did this for 7.0.4 as well. here's some of my boot entries (note that I always treat my ntfs boot partition as a big USB install) and I have multiple KNOPPIX dirs: KNOPPIX70, KNOPPIX67, KNOPPIX64 (the knoppix_dir= boot option allows multiple versions of knoppix separated by dir) and multiple boot/syslinux{70,67,64} dirs. I think the 3.0.4-64 drivers are ~ 100Mb.
Code:
title knoppix64_6.7
root (hd0,1)
kernel /Boot/syslinux/linux64_67 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX67 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq loglevel=1 tz=EST5EDT
initrd /Boot/syslinux/minirt67.gz
title knoppix32_7.0
root (hd0,1)
kernel /Boot/syslinux70/linux knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX70 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 ide1=reset1 tz=EST5EDT
initrd /Boot/syslinux70/minirt.gz
title knoppix64_7.0
root (hd0,1)
kernel /Boot/syslinux70/linux64 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX70 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 ide1=reset1 tz=EST5EDT
initrd /Boot/syslinux70/minirt.gz
title knoppix64_7.0_usb
root (hd1,0)
kernel /Boot/syslinux70/linux64 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX70 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq loglevel=1 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 tz=EST5EDT
initrd /Boot/syslinux70/minirt.gz
title knoppix64_6.4
root (hd0,1)
kernel /Boot/syslinux/linux64 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq loglevel=1 tz=EST5EDT
initrd /Boot/syslinux/minirt.gz
-
force 64 bit install
Hi, I am a total newbi. Can you give me step by step instructions to force my 7.0.4 install as 64 bit? it has already installed as 32 bit. thanks
-------
Fullquote deleted
wps
Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.
-
I just saw on http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix704-en.html that
"Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64", supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only). "
so I have to download and install the DVD version?
Then I can run flash-knoppix to create a bootable USB stick?
Am I correct? I will let you know
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
mikeymike
I just saw on
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix704-en.html that
"Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64", supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only). "
so I have to download and install the DVD version?
Then I can run flash-knoppix to create a bootable USB stick?
Am I correct? I will let you know
You don't have to install - just run the DVD, and use that for creating the bootable USB stick. Booting that with option knoppix64 starts 64 bits kernel. (I often create the stick by running the DVD image, bypassing DVD creation and booting, but then you either need to boot from ISO or run a virtualization program.)
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1774.24

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$461.10

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000
$599.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Corsair MP600 PRO NH 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 SSD CSSD-F1000GBMP600PNH New Sealed
$249.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99