Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Running without HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Datawhore Networks
    Posts
    2

    Running without HD

    I want to run Knoppix on my laptop without a hard drive, is this possible?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    Yeah, it works fine. I have a box setup without a hd now, which is the box I use for my wireless networking stuff.

    There's really no difference between running with or without a hd, except for storing large files. A floppy works good for the 2 config file I need.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Running without HD

    Quote Originally Posted by Levon
    I want to run Knoppix on my laptop without a hard drive, is this possible?
    If you have 128MB or more RAM and the laptop is supported, sure. You can then use a floppy to store your settings.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Datawhore Networks
    Posts
    2
    The laptop has about 16 megabytes RAM, what do you think?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Levon
    The laptop has about 16 megabytes RAM, what do you think?
    I think it will run in text-mode, but no GUI. If it really came with 16 MB, I think it's too old to run anything useful. What brand/model is it?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Levon
    The laptop has about 16 megabytes RAM, what do you think?
    YIKES! The only distro I know of that isn't antiquated and has X windows AND would run on 16M is mulinux

    It's not terribly hard to install- it's not Knoppix but if you take your time it should work out for you. I have it on an 8M laptop and yes- it boots xwindows. More of a toy than anything tho- great project/learning experience however.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Loper said a few posts back that with out a HD Knoppix ran fine using the floppy for storage.

    Which version was that 3.1 or 3.2 because I can't save my settings on 3.2? It it me or is 3.1 better than 3.2 in floppy usage?

    a puzzled,

    Tim

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92

    It can be done.

    Yeah, I just booted with 'knoppix 2' from my p-100mhz with 16 megs of ram, no HD. It booted up fine, and runs fine to this day. Apache doesn't take up alot of ram!

    - Ambrose

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I had problems trying out the early editions of V3.2 also. I haven't tried late May or June versions yet. My problem was that I could not use CUPS. I would write some code in KATE, configure a printer in CUPS, then go to print from KATE and KDECrashHandler catches KATE!

    Regards,

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    Kate seems to be a little buggy... for example...

    Within a script, I call kate /var/log/iamanidiotlog
    Then I execute the bash script, and it works...

    If you call the script with 'sudo' first, kate crashes.

    This can get quite anoying! I've just put a sudo in front of everything in my script, except for the kate part.

    - Ambrose

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix not running right
    By linuxknewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 05:37 PM
  2. Running Lyx 1.3.4
    By Rob_S in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 11:45 PM
  3. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
  4. what am I running?
    By Allowee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 06:33 AM
  5. Possible?: running only from the ram?
    By dvessey in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2003, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99