Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Knoppix 7.0.3 CD & DVD now on mirrors

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Howto recompile the Knoppix 703 Kernel from the source and get a compatible binary ?

    Hello,
    What do I need to do in order to get the same kernel binaries as in the Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD boot folder
    when compiling the kernel from the live Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD and using the the sources located in the
    /usr/src/linux-source-3.4.4.tar.bz2 file and the .config file from /boot/config-3.4.4 ?
    I am using: "make oldconfig; make all; make install; make modules_install"
    Do I need to use the virtualbox-guest.tar.bz2 file ? How to use it with the kernel source tree ?

    FYI, I am trying to recompile the kernel to get the oprofile.ko kernel module but
    the kernel binaries are too different and the module does not load with the original kernel.
    So I would need to change all the kernel modules + the kernel which I try to avoid
    for obvious reasons. I just like to add the oprofile.ko kernel module to my custom
    patch cloop so I can use it when needed.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hello,
    What do I need to do in order to get the same kernel binaries as in the Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD boot folder
    when compiling the kernel from the live Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD and using the the sources located in the
    /usr/src/linux-source-3.4.4.tar.bz2 file and the .config file from /boot/config-3.4.4 ?
    I am using: "make oldconfig; make all; make install; make modules_install"
    Do I need to use the virtualbox-guest.tar.bz2 file ? How to use it with the kernel source tree ?

    FYI, I am trying to recompile the kernel to get the oprofile.ko kernel module but
    the kernel binaries are too different and the module does not load with the original kernel.
    So I would need to change all the kernel modules + the kernel which I try to avoid
    for obvious reasons. I just like to add the oprofile.ko kernel module to my custom
    patch cloop so I can use it when needed.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles
    I think the kernel modules are "sensitive" to a few factors, gcc compiler version is one of them. Did you by any chance upgraded the gcc compiler version ? Since you only want to get the oprofile.ko, you might want to try to compile it inside a virtual machine, using the original DVD Live CD. In that case, hopefully you retained all the factors could cause the kernel module loader to fail the sanity check.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    This is exactly what I did: boot the DVD iso within a virtual machine without any update nor modification.
    It worked with some previous Knoppix releases but not 7.0.3. It suppose that Klaus did not compile the
    Knoppix kernels from Knoppix, reason for the version mismatch probably created by a different gcc version.
    I guess it will help to find out which version of gcc has been used to compile the 703 kernel.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    I think the kernel modules are "sensitive" to a few factors, gcc compiler version is one of them. Did you by any chance upgraded the gcc compiler version ? Since you only want to get the oprofile.ko, you might want to try to compile it inside a virtual machine, using the original DVD Live CD. In that case, hopefully you retained all the factors could cause the kernel module loader to fail the sanity check.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    This is exactly what I did: boot the DVD iso within a virtual machine without any update nor modification.
    It worked with some previous Knoppix releases but not 7.0.3. It suppose that Klaus did not compile the
    Knoppix kernels from Knoppix, reason for the version mismatch probably created by a different gcc version.
    I guess it will help to find out which version of gcc has been used to compile the 703 kernel.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles
    try
    $ cat /proc/version

    Yeah likely he compiled the kernel using an older knoppix.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    try: $ cat /proc/version
    Yeah likely he compiled the kernel using an older knoppix.
    Hi kl522,
    Here you go, I remember that Klaus mentioned once that he was using an eepc for development
    and yes Knoppix 7.0.3 is using a more recent version of gcc 4.7.1-2 than the one used to compile
    the kernel (gcc 4.7.1-1) as you read below. So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use
    a previous version of Knoppix which still uses that version of gcc. I would be nice to have installed
    on Knoppix the correct version of gcc to recompile the kernel without complication. I guess this is a
    suggestion for improvement that Klaus may consider to use on his next release.
    Thanks for your help.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    root@Knoppix:/# cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.4.4 (root@eeepc) (gcc version 4.7.0 (Debian 4.7.1-1) ) #14 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 23 20:07:21 CEST 2012
    root@Knoppix:/# gcc --version
    gcc (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1
    Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hi kl522,
    Here you go, I remember that Klaus mentioned once that he was using an eepc for development
    and yes Knoppix 7.0.3 is using a more recent version of gcc 4.7.1-2 than the one used to compile
    the kernel (gcc 4.7.1-1) as you read below. So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use
    a previous version of Knoppix which still uses that version of gcc. I would be nice to have installed
    on Knoppix the correct version of gcc to recompile the kernel without complication. I guess this is a
    suggestion for improvement that Klaus may consider to use on his next release.
    Thanks for your help.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    root@Knoppix:/# cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.4.4 (root@eeepc) (gcc version 4.7.0 (Debian 4.7.1-1) ) #14 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 23 20:07:21 CEST 2012
    root@Knoppix:/# gcc --version
    gcc (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1
    Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    The module file can be edited manually. I have done before, after editing the module using vi, if the length of string remains, the module can be loaded. Or perhaps insmod has a force option to forcefully load a module.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    The module file can be edited manually. I have done before, after editing the module using vi, if the length of string remains, the module can be loaded. Or perhaps insmod has a force option to forcefully load a module.
    Perhaps can try this :-

    # sed -i -e 's/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-1) 4.7.0/g' oprofile.ko

    Might be faster than other methods.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    ...So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use a previous version of Knoppix...
    Well Knoppix 7.0.2 is using an older version of gcc 4.6.3-7 so I will need to downgrade gcc on Knoppix 7.0.3.
    So what is the easiest way to find and reinstall an older version of gcc ?
    apt-get -y --reinstall install gcc-4.7=4.7.1 does not work: "E: Version '4.7.1' for 'gcc-4.7' was not found"
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210

$139.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$119.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95