-
Pixelated / low res on Compaq Armada 1598DMT
I've got a pretty old Compaq Aramda 1598DMT, and Knoppix works perfectly except:
When in xfree, everything is extremely pixelated (fonts/icons/background/etc). It must be an X problem as all the fancy problems prior to xfree look fine. Anyone know anything about this kind of issue?
-
What version of Knoppix and X do you have BrittBS? I'm having a similar problem with an ECS Desknote A901 which has the sis630 chip. I am using Knoppix 3.2-2003-06-06-EN installed on the my hard drive (but booting from the CD gives the same problem) with XFree86 4.3. Didn't have this problem with RedHat (but there were other problems with that and XFree86 4.2.0). What happens if you do startx with the -depth or -bpp options?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Pixelated / low res on Compaq Armada 1598DMT

Originally Posted by
BrittBS
I've got a pretty old Compaq Aramda 1598DMT, and Knoppix works perfectly except:When in xfree, everything is extremely pixelated (fonts/icons/background/etc).
It would appear that the resolution that X/KDE is starting up in is not the native resolution for your machine. One of the drawbacks to an LC display is that it has a fixed resolution; anything displayed in any other resolution will look blocky or pixelated because the image is not mapped to the display. An example would be a 800 x 600 pixel desktop displayed on a 1024 x 768 LCD; some of the desktop pixels would map to multiple pixels on the physical display, causing text (for example) to look very strange.
You may want to try some of the cheat-codes. They are documented here -- I don't have a laptop to test them -- maybe someone else can leap in. Look at your documentation to find the native resolution of your LCD.
-
Junior Member
registered user
You might find a little help here:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
-
Re: Pixelated / low res on Compaq Armada 1598DMT

Originally Posted by
Loper
One of the drawbacks to an LC display is that it has a fixed resolution; anything displayed in any other resolution will look blocky or pixelated because the image is not mapped to the display. An example would be a 800 x 600 pixel desktop displayed on a 1024 x 768 LCD; some of the desktop pixels would map to multiple pixels on the physical display, causing text (for example) to look very strange.
That would help to explain the craziness I was experiencing. I think it's fixed now but certain images were seriously blocky / pixelated while X was starting with a depth of 16 (what Knoppix detected
). I changed it to 24 and the problems I was having seemed to have disappeared.
I wonder tho... would it be possible to determine the fixed resolution via software or if the size / type of the LCD was known? I have a 14.1 inch TFT and of course the documents don't say a thing about it
-
Awesome
Well, the pixelation problem is fixed by switching to 8bit color depth, but of course then it must render everything terribly. And I mean it looks awful.
This can't be the solution ... I'm going to read further, even though I've hit most of those links you all have posted. Thanks though, and please keep the suggestions coming.
Similar Threads
-
By Oasis in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-15-2005, 11:46 AM
-
By jndixon in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-31-2004, 07:17 PM
-
By bob59 in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 06:40 PM
-
By konik134 in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-18-2003, 06:40 PM
-
By PatrickAmf in forum Laptops
Replies: 14
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73