Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Synaptic Package Manager failed to open...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Synaptic Package Manager failed to open...

    Hi, I run Knoppix 7.0.3 on a USB pendrive installed from the Live CD. When I try to open S.P.M. I get the mesage that an error occurred and I'm asked to report it. I attached a screenshot which gives more details. What can I do to fix that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Karibu.
    This is an unfortunate problem with 703-CD.
    Just go to a command line and do apt-get update & wait for this to finish;
    then go back to Synaptic and it should be ok.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Greetings, utu

    and thank you for helping me...YES, issue solved!


    PS.: Now that I have SMP working...is it possible to get the GNOME desktop environment as an additional sesssion to choose from by installing the "gnome" package?
    I want to show off a bit at my "Windows" or "Mac" friends what I can do with Linux/Knoppix.
    Last edited by Karibu; 07-06-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Issue [SOLVED]

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Karibu View Post
    is it possible to get the GNOME desktop environment as an additional sesssion to choose from by installing the "gnome" package?
    I can't help you with gnome, but I suggest you might compare boot-up-to-on-line times,
    and see how we stand.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I can't help you with gnome, but I suggest you might compare boot-up-to-on-line times,
    and see how we stand.
    Sorry, utu, for bothering you, but I don't know what you mean by " ...compare boot-up-to-on-line times..."
    Please, give me an hint...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    On my laptop, when new, Windows 7 would boot-up and get on line in
    about 60 seconds. Knoppix 7 gets there in 34 to 40+ seconds, depending
    on whether we're discussing CD or DVD versions.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    OK, got it .... thank you....!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95