Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: utf-8 console ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168

    utf-8 console ...

    Hi,
    ~
    I remember some time ago Klaus mentioned knoppix would be fully utf-8 for the next version
    ~
    I am using right now 6.7.1 and as usual I am having problems while dumping results on the console (I do know those are console encoding problems, because when I use java GUI components they print the utf-8 chars just fine)
    ~
    Are the latest version of knoppix fully utf-8?
    ~
    thanks
    Albretch

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168
    When I said: "I remember some time ago Klaus mentioned knoppix would be fully utf-8 for the next version" I meant what I pasted bellow
    ~
    I haven't had a chance to try the latest version of knoppix but if it is not fully utf-8 complaint, do you know of any other debian based live-cd which is?
    ~
    lbrtchx
    ~
    // __ Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale
    ~
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00001.html
    ~
    Thanks for this hint, it looks like I really have to move away from the
    "one char per letter" approach that was 8-bit-per-char ISO-8859-*. Some
    programs in Debian don't even seem to support the traditional charsets
    anymore, and crash on startup in a non-utf8-environment (openshot,
    stopmotion, ...), so it is likely that I will have to switch to UTF-8
    completely in the next Knoppix version. For this, I will use your patch
    above, too.
    ~

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    You might just give it a try

    Quote Originally Posted by Albretch View Post
    When I said: "I remember some time ago Klaus mentioned knoppix would be fully utf-8 for the next version" I meant what I pasted bellow
    ~
    I haven't had a chance to try the latest version of knoppix but if it is not fully utf-8 complaint, do you know of any other debian based live-cd which is?
    ~
    lbrtchx
    ~
    // __ Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale
    ~
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00001.html
    ~
    Thanks for this hint, it looks like I really have to move away from the
    "one char per letter" approach that was 8-bit-per-char ISO-8859-*. Some
    programs in Debian don't even seem to support the traditional charsets
    anymore, and crash on startup in a non-utf8-environment (openshot,
    stopmotion, ...), so it is likely that I will have to switch to UTF-8
    completely in the next Knoppix version. For this, I will use your patch
    above, too.
    ~

    From Klaus K's release notes (which is worthwhile reading for all Knoppix-interested )
    http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html

    The standard character set has been moved to UTF8 for (almost) all languages, for supporting multilingual parts, umlauts and special characters in texs and applications. Some GTK programs had problems with the language-specific ISO character set and even refused to start, which should be fixed by the switch to UTF8, which almost all Linux distributions recommend. Because of the change, many of Knoppix scripts had to be changed and in many cases, Xdialog was replaced by zenity.
    So, you might just give it a try, and report back, for example on the debian-knoppix mailing list, if you run into problems. Klaus K's intention seems to be to provide what you need.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168
    OK if the xterminals are utf-8, how come you can't see the ü (German u with dieresis) and the ñ (Spanish n with tilde)?

    Code:
    $ which netcardconfig
    /usr/sbin/netcardconfig
    
    $ cat /usr/sbin/netcardconfig | grep "servidor de"
    MESSAGE12="A�adiendo servidor de nombres a /etc/resolv.conf:"
    
    $ cat /usr/sbin/netcardconfig | grep "Netzwerkkarte(n) gefunden"
    MESSAGE0="Keine unterst�tzten Netzwerkkarte(n) gefunden."
    lbrtchx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



Tempest Laptop Cooler with Vacuum Fan, Rapid Cooling, Small, Black picture

Tempest Laptop Cooler with Vacuum Fan, Rapid Cooling, Small, Black

$40.22



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable picture

Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable

$9.97



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



WeePro Compressed Air Duster 180000RPM Cordless Mini Turbo Fan, 3-Speed Vacuum picture

WeePro Compressed Air Duster 180000RPM Cordless Mini Turbo Fan, 3-Speed Vacuum

$149.99