-
Senior Member
registered user
utf-8 console ...
Hi,
~
I remember some time ago Klaus mentioned knoppix would be fully utf-8 for the next version
~
I am using right now 6.7.1 and as usual I am having problems while dumping results on the console (I do know those are console encoding problems, because when I use java GUI components they print the utf-8 chars just fine)
~
Are the latest version of knoppix fully utf-8?
~
thanks
Albretch
-
Senior Member
registered user
When I said: "I remember some time ago Klaus mentioned knoppix would be fully utf-8 for the next version" I meant what I pasted bellow
~
I haven't had a chance to try the latest version of knoppix but if it is not fully utf-8 complaint, do you know of any other debian based live-cd which is?
~
lbrtchx
~
// __ Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale
~
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00001.html
~
Thanks for this hint, it looks like I really have to move away from the
"one char per letter" approach that was 8-bit-per-char ISO-8859-*. Some
programs in Debian don't even seem to support the traditional charsets
anymore, and crash on startup in a non-utf8-environment (openshot,
stopmotion, ...), so it is likely that I will have to switch to UTF-8
completely in the next Knoppix version. For this, I will use your patch
above, too.
~
-
Senior Member
registered user
You might just give it a try

Originally Posted by
Albretch
When I said: "I remember some time ago Klaus mentioned knoppix would be fully utf-8 for the next version" I meant what I pasted bellow
~
I haven't had a chance to try the latest version of knoppix but if it is not fully utf-8 complaint, do you know of any other debian based live-cd which is?
~
lbrtchx
~
// __ Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale
~
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00001.html
~
Thanks for this hint, it looks like I really have to move away from the
"one char per letter" approach that was 8-bit-per-char ISO-8859-*. Some
programs in Debian don't even seem to support the traditional charsets
anymore, and crash on startup in a non-utf8-environment (openshot,
stopmotion, ...), so it is likely that I will have to switch to UTF-8
completely in the next Knoppix version. For this, I will use your patch
above, too.
~
From Klaus K's release notes (which is worthwhile reading for all Knoppix-interested
)
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html
The standard character set has been moved to UTF8 for (almost) all languages, for supporting multilingual parts, umlauts and special characters in texs and applications. Some GTK programs had problems with the language-specific ISO character set and even refused to start, which should be fixed by the switch to UTF8, which almost all Linux distributions recommend. Because of the change, many of Knoppix scripts had to be changed and in many cases, Xdialog was replaced by zenity.
So, you might just give it a try, and report back, for example on the debian-knoppix mailing list, if you run into problems. Klaus K's intention seems to be to provide what you need.
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK if the xterminals are utf-8, how come you can't see the ü (German u with dieresis) and the ñ (Spanish n with tilde)?
Code:
$ which netcardconfig
/usr/sbin/netcardconfig
$ cat /usr/sbin/netcardconfig | grep "servidor de"
MESSAGE12="A�adiendo servidor de nombres a /etc/resolv.conf:"
$ cat /usr/sbin/netcardconfig | grep "Netzwerkkarte(n) gefunden"
MESSAGE0="Keine unterst�tzten Netzwerkkarte(n) gefunden."
lbrtchx
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3
$59.99

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J
$70.00