Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: V7.0.3 LiveDVD-Flash_Installer Error

  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12

    Same flash installer problem

    I tried installing cd version of 7.0.3 on two Corsair Flash Voyager 8gb sticks and get the same error as Karibu: lseek:invalid arguement, etc. If I open gparted in the livecd after the failed installation, it does not detect the usb stick. If I reboot into a different linux distro, gparted detects the usb stick. I have successfully installed another linux distro on one of the usb sticks, so that indicates that the problem is not with the stick (?).

    Any resolution to this problem?

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12

    New flash installer problem

    Never able to install 7.0.3 on my flash drive, I downloaded 7.0.4CD release with anticipation that whatever had prevented installation was corrected. I started the flash installer, reformatted the flash drive, watched the installation proceed further than it had with 7.0.3, but then a new error message:
    cp:reading 'KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': input/output error
    cp:failed to extend '/tmp/flash-knoppix.3213.tmpmount/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': input/output error
    This happened on two different flash drives. I was able to install 6.7.1 on a flash drive, but not 7.0.3 or 7.0.4.

    Can anyone help?

  3. #33
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Have you been able to install another current Debian-family distro on the stick(s)? As is documented earlier in this thread, there are/have been problems with some library versions. Your 7.0.3 vs 7.0.4 experiences may indicate that this has been worked on, but is still not fixed.

  4. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Capricorny, thank you for your reply. I have not tried another Debian distro, but will do so today. With Knoppix I tried "Install Knoppix to flash disk" which I assumed was a special flash drive installer. Maybe that is not true and it simply targets a usb drive vs HD?
    I did not note that I previously installed 6.7.1 successfully with the flash installer. Also, I was able to install 7.0.4 using Unetbootin, though it runs slower than the 6.7.1 installation. Would that be Unetbootin or a difference between 6.7.1 and 7.0.4?

  5. #35
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I think the "flash install" without formatting actually is just writing a boot record plus copying the ordinary set of Knoppix system files. Eventuallly creating knoppix-data.img.
    The libraries used in unetbootin are probably different from current standard Debian, so you could therefore use them for writing to the stick. When Knoppix boots, but runs slowly, that may indicate I/O problems, again from the current Debian utilities being used. So my guess is that you observe a 6.7.1/7.0.4-difference, unetbootin may not be involved at all.

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Have you been able to install another current Debian-family distro on the stick(s)?
    I tried installing Debian 6 to flash drive and during partitioning procedure had this message: Error informing the kernel about modification to partition /dev/sdd2 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sdd2 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.

    I am not experienced enough to know if this is part of the problem with "library versions" or something different.

    Re slowness of 7.0.4 vs 6.7.1, seems like it might be CPU usage issue.

  7. #37
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by sredmon View Post
    Re slowness of 7.0.4 vs 6.7.1, seems like it might be CPU usage issue.
    CPU usage upon device handling reflects the software runnig, be it kernel modules, libraries or application code. And my guess is that if you do something that ONLY engages kernel modules, like initial booting, you will seldom have any slowdown with newer kernel modules.

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    CPU usage upon device handling reflects the software runnig, be it kernel modules, libraries or application code.
    I use current Firefox with several security/privacy add-ons, current Thunderbird with IMAP account, and Dropbox. That probably explains high CPU usage?

  9. #39
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by sredmon View Post
    I use current Firefox with several security/privacy add-ons, current Thunderbird with IMAP account, and Dropbox. That probably explains high CPU usage?
    Sure it may - but with enough RAM, that should work out about the same regardless of installs. That is, unless there is an aggressive cache-writing/reading policy in place that effectively circumvents the Linux kernel's RAM-caching. In that case, we might se a double effect, both direct CPU usage and indirect through inefficient reading/writing. USB handling has traditionally tended to be rather CPU-intensive in any case.

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Capricorny, thank you for your replies to my questions. At this point, I probably should start another thread on the slowness problem. Re my inability to use the flash installer to install 7.0.4 to a usb stick, I will go back to using 6.7.1 and hope the installation problem is solved by the next Knoppix release.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73