Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: V7.0.3 LiveDVD-Flash_Installer Error

  1. #1
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question V7.0.3 LiveDVD-Flash_Installer Error

    I Downloaded V7.0.3-DVD.iso and ran the md5sum integrity test.
    Then I burned image to DVD and wanted to make an USB Flashdisk Installation.
    When it says "Creating Boot Record on /dev/sdh" I got the Error message:

    lseek: Invalid argument

    sfdisk: seek error on /dev/sdh - cannot seek to 0
    /dev/sdh: unrecognized partition table type

    sfdisk: 1: no such partition
    What is wrong? How can I fix it?

    PS.: I use a 32GB HP USB drive which I formatted FAT32 first.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Further investigations...

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sfdisk -l /dev/sdh Disk /dev/sdh: 4294967295 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track lseek: Invalid argument sfdisk: seek error on /dev/sdh - cannot seek to 0 /dev/sdh: unrecognized partition table type No partitions found
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ gedit /etc/fstab
    See attached /etc/fstab-ORIGINAL and fstab after inserting USB drive

    As I understand it the system recognizes the USB drive correctly (Because it is 32GB, I created two FAT32 partitions to have a partition for multi purpose use).
    Why do I get this seek error on /dev/sdh?
    Is it a badly burned DVD?
    What can I do?
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #3
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Further Investigations...On my Machine, V7.0.3DVD can not do....

    On my machine, V7.0.3-DVD can NOT do what V7.0.2-DVD can,
    i.e. do install KNOPPIX on flash disk!

    I used the same USB to install V7.0.2 DVD without any difficulty...
    that means no "sfdisk: seek error on /dev/sdh" as mentioned above.

    I would appreciate any idea or advice how to get V7.0.3 on an USB drive!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    More info...

    I checked the fstab in both - V7.0.3 and V7.0.2 and they are identical...
    #V7.0.3
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdh1 /media/sdh1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdh2 /media/sdh2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

    #V7.0.2
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdh1 /media/sdh1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sdh2 /media/sdh2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

  5. #5
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157

    Question Still working on it....Another try...

    Hello
    I wonder if somebody could help me with this issue (Installing V7.0.3 on 32GB HP USB drive)
    a) I downloaded V7.0.3 again and burned a new DVD from the .iso file.
    b) I used a different USB flash disk (16GB no-name brand) and could succeed!
    c) I tried it again on the HP flash which I cleared with 'gparted' and got the following message:
    Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ...
    OK
    lseek: Invalid argument

    sfdisk: seek error on /dev/sdh - cannot seek to 0
    /dev/sdh: unrecognized partition table type
    No partitions found
    lseek: Invalid argument

    sfdisk: seek error on /dev/sdh - cannot seek to 0
    BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
    The command to re-read the partition table failed.
    Run partprobe(, kpartx( or reboot your system now,
    before using mkfs
    If you created or changed a DOS partition, /dev/foo7, say, then use dd(1)
    to zero the first 512 bytes: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo7 bs=512 count=1
    (See fdisk(
    Has anybody an idea what could be wrong with this flash drive?
    As I already mentioned, the V7.0.2 could be installed on the same flash drive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Greetings Karibu!

    I have no idea what went wrong but I would suggest that you issue the command
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/sdh
    and post the output. /dev/sdh is the device name of your 32 GB HP USB drive.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Hello Klaus and thank you for the response....Here is the terminal output of fdisk...
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sdh1

    Disk /dev/sdh1: 32.5 GB, 32462864384 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3946 cylinders, total 63404032 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    You issued "fdisk -l /dev/sdh1" but I suggested "fdisk -l /dev/sdh". The comand I suggested would give information about the whole drive /dev/sdh and not only about the partition /dev/sdh1. I thought it would be helpful to see the full description of that drive including the partition table.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/sdh
    gives no output at all.

    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sdh
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sdh
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sdh
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ fdisk -l /dev/sdh
    I thought, because the Filesystem manager finds the flash drive under "/media/sdh1". I had to use sdh1!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Karibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Posts
    157
    For better understanding what I mean:
    Screenshot shows Filemanager/Installer identifying USB
    flash drive as sdh1/sdh and 'fdisk' shows different size than Installer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$74.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$105.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00